Established in 1887 as a school for the education of American Indians, The University of North Carolina at Pembroke serves a distinctly diverse student body and encourages inclusion and appreciation of the values of all people. Located in the heart of Pembroke, N.C., UNCP boasts an enrollment of 8,200 in 41 undergraduate and 18 graduate programs and offers a personalized learning environment where faculty and staff are dedicated to engaged scholarship, high academic standards, creative activity and public service. Spread over 281 acres, the campus offers a sense of community and belonging–a place where faculty and staff feel supported, take pride in the university’s mission, and are devoted to excellence in teaching, learning and research, and to developing leaders who make a difference in their communities.
Primary Purpose of the Unit
The Office of Financial Planning and Analysis is responsible for strategic planning and institutional budget management for multiple funding sources including State Appropriations, Tuition and Fees, Facilities and Administrative Receipts, Capital Improvement Funds, and Institutional Trust Funds. This office provides financial management and analysis to administrators.
Primary Purpose of Position
The Finance and Budget Analyst provides informational support to the Director of Financial Planning and Analysis and the Office of Financial Planning and Analysis to facilitate effective data driven decisions. This position provides complex comparative analysis of all budgets and financial data contained in the University’s ERP System, Banner. Responsibilities include assisting the Director of Financial Planning and Analysis with preparing and presenting budgetary information and guidance to all departments and units. Position provides assistance to divisional leaders on financial actions regarding their budgets. These responsibilities require an in depth knowledge of Banner Finance. Additional responsibilities include preparing and maintaining reports to assist in the All-Funds Budget process. This requires considerable knowledge of the state and university budget concepts. Transactions and totals are reviewed for accuracy and reasonableness and to ensure that they comply with GAAP and state guidelines.
Percent of Time – 60%
· Analyze and review departmental budgets and expenditures for the non-general budget funds
· Provide consultation to department heads and budget managers in the preparation of annual budget estimates
· Produce a variety of standard and ad hoc financial analyses, including, but not limited to, multi-year budget forecasts, quarterly projections of revenues and expenses, and other reports to provide to resource allocation decisions and internal controls
· Perform comparative analysis of budgetary transactions on a monthly basis to determine if significant variations or unusual relationships exist by comparing monthly and/or year-to-date entries with previous amounts. Determine if amounts are reasonable and have been properly recorded, make adjustments to resolve any issues and advise the Director of Financial Planning and Analysis or Vice Chancellor of Finance and Administration as appropriate.
· Conduct detailed financial examination of the non-general budget funds, to include fee funds and endowed spending funds
· Assist with reports and analysis for the university’s annual All-Funds Budget
Percent of Time – 20%
· Work with other financial units on campus to gather and combine data sets, merge current with historical records, and develop programming logic that can be deployed and repeated to extract, translate, and load data into various systems
· Combine, consolidate all department requests by division and summarize overall results in preliminary pro forma statements
· Compile non-financial information and critical ratios to aid in decision-making as it relates to resource allocation
· Prepare reports that will assist the Director of Financial Planning and Analysis in developing long-range projections for budget planning purposes
· Work with the Director of Financial Planning and Analysis to develop reports and other useful tools to assist with the development of the All-Funds Budget
Percent of Time – 20%
· Responsibilities include assisting staff by providing appropriate responses to questions and guidance on financial issues
· Answer inquiries and seek information needed to perform duties and the ability to articulate and defend data
· Responsible for research, reconciling, financial analysis and reporting
· Serve on project teams and committees involving testing, training, and related operational procedure development
· Other duties as assigned to assist the Director of Financial Planning and Analysis that require analysis and problem solving.
Minimum Training and Experience Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in public administration, business administration, accounting, or related discipline; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Management Preferences: Two to five years of budget or accounting experience, preferably in higher education. Knowledge of and experience with Banner Finance, including the use of forms as well as advanced Excel skills, including pivot tables, complex formulas, and analytics. Competency using reporting and data tools, such as Argos and Tableau.
Special Instructions to Applicants: This position is subject to the successful completion of an employment background check. An employment background check includes a criminal background check, employment verification, reference checks, license verification (if applicable) and credit history check (if applicable). In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. New employees are paid only by direct deposit to the financial institution of their choice. Candidates claiming Veterans Preference must attach a copy of their DD-214 as a part of the online application process.
UNC Pembroke is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The University prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibits discrimination against all individuals based on their age, race, color, genetic information, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and national origin. UNC Pembroke is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and seeks priority referrals of protected veterans for our openings.