Eligible for $500 sign-on bonus
On-Call: Operating hours Monday – Friday, 7:00am - 3:30pm.
Schedule may vary according to departmental and Academy
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Performs routine and repetitive manual labor.
- Cleans culverts, drains, roads and ditches; spread sand and
gravel; erect road markers; shovel snow; collect refuse; rake
leaves and grass; mow grass; operate light equipment related to
above duties, including minor maintenance and cleaning of
- Provides support for the collection, hauling and disposal of
refuse and recycling from Academy facilities and residences.
- Performs other grounds maintenance as required.
- Maintains natural grass and synthetic turf athletic fields,
including measuring and painting field markings.
- Maintains and repairs lawn irrigation systems.
- Maintains and repairs athletic equipment including: goals,
nets, and benches.
- Maintains outdoor Tennis Complex and Phelps Stadium venue.
- Assists with maintenance, event setup and breakdown for
- Cleans restrooms, athletic support buildings and outside
- Moves furniture, heavy objects, and equipment.
- Responsible for cultivating, transplanting, pruning, watering,
fertilizing and maintaining lawns, athletic fields, shrubs, trees
and plantings as instructed.
- Operates all motorized and non-motorized small grounds machines
and tractors with implements i.e. snow blower, power brush,
aerator, vacuum, overseeder, sweeper, large rotary mowers and
- Operates Bucket Truck for tree work.
- Participates in snow removal.
- Maintains a clean and orderly storage area within the grounds
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work independently and achieve high results with
- Respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an
orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in
all aspects of Academy life.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and
maintain collegial relationships.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students by building trust
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills as well as a
strong customer focus.
- A strict adherence to confidential policies is required.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities
and deadlines simultaneously.
- Possess basic computer skills.
- Willingness and ability to learn and utilize additional
applications as needed.
- High degree of organizational skills with the ability to be
flexible and multi-task with accuracy.
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions, maintain a
professional demeanor and restraint at all times, including
- High school diploma or GED is preferred.
- Minimum 2 years’ related experience.
- Experience with grounds equipment and machinery required.
- Knowledge of snow and ice removal operations preferred.
- Irrigation operation experience helpful.
- Pesticide applicator license and knowledge of Integrated Pest
Management Practices preferred.
- Experience working with adolescents in an educational setting
- Experience in an institutional or campus setting
- Physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work and
will require the ability to remain standing for extended periods of
time, go up and down flights of steps, lift and push heavy objects
as well as stoop, squat, bend, kneel, crouch, lift and transport a
minimum of 50lbs.
- Must be able to climb and operate equipment.
- Must be able to work in confined areas and areas subject to
extreme heat and cold temperatures.
COVID Vaccine Policy:
- Successfully complete a criminal background check (reviewed
every 5 years).
- Clean Driving record (reviewed annually).
- Must consistently wear assigned uniform and equipment and
adhere to the appearance guidelines.
- May be required to handle hazardous materials in the work
- *Essential personnel are required to report to or remain at
work if instructed directly by designated personnel during
emergency events or inclement weather.
Phillips Exeter Academy requires all community members to be fully
vaccinated* against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19
*With the exception of a PEA-approved medical or religious