Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of
Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position.
A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional
communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship,
respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is
designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in
creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding
of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact
on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in eight areas:
Professional Development; Mission & Pride;
Supervisor/Department Chair Effectiveness; Confidence in Senior
Leadership; Faculty & Staff Well-Being; Shared Governance;
Faculty Experience; Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-CyFair
Lone Star College offers high-quality, low-cost academic transfer
and career training education to 93,000+ students each semester.
LSC has been named a 2021 Great Colleges to Work For® institution
by the Chronicle of Higher Education and ranked 35th in Texas in
the Forbes ‘America’s Best Employers By State’ list.
LSC consists of eight colleges, seven centers, eight Workforce
Centers of Excellence and Lone Star Corporate College.
Located in suburban northwest Houston in the heart of the CyFair
Community, the college provides a full range of offerings including
unique programs in fire science technology, logistics management
and sonography. Since opening our award winning campus in 2003, the
college has experienced record growth and supports an exciting
learning environment that brings together state-of-the-art
technology and active, collaborative learning.
Location address is 9191 Barker Cypress Road, Cypress, TX
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Part-time Tutor tutors and instructs students and community
members who need learning assistance in assigned discipline(s) and
study skills. Primary responsibilities include providing tutoring
and related services, and providing an atmosphere that is conducive
to and encourages learning. Responsible for the general areas of
student academic support, institutional service, and professional
development. This is a temporary, grant-funded position.
Continuation of the position from one academic year to the next
is dependent upon continued grant funding.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Effectively delivers tutoring services to students at scheduled
times (may be individual or group sessions). Posts and maintains a
weekly schedule of available hours for student appointments
- Assists students with the development of study skills necessary
for post-secondary education
- Keeps regular and accurate records of tutoring sessions
- Monitors and reviews student work. Modifies and personalizes
tutoring strategies to accommodate the different learning styles
- Facilitates the learning process by encouraging students to
take responsibility for their progress.
- Interacts with LSC staff and/or faculty to obtain any necessary
course syllabi or materials, and to develop tutoring materials in
support of the course
- Delivers feedback as appropriate to staff and/or faculty
regarding student progress
- Continues professional education through research and review of
relevant material relating to the assigned subject matter
- May assist with additional duties as needed, for example,
covering the Courtesy Counter, answering phones, organizing
materials, checking out resources, and performing other duties as
- Completes and submits required documents in an accurate and
- Actively participates in departmental meetings as required
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as
- Demonstrated proficiency in assigned discipline’s subject
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and
- Commitment to quality service to students
- Commitment to multi-cultural and multi-generational
- Ability and commitment to work collaboratively
- Ability to work independently with little direct or continuous
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to
do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending;
carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or
driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to
perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a
Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to
carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal
exposure to safety hazards
- Schedule varies semester to semester and can include evenings
- High School diploma or GED
- Transcripts and/or a proficiency test may be required
Hourly Pay Rate is $9.92 to $26.35 dependent upon education and
CRLA certification levels.
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part
of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work
environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver,
participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of
the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on
‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title
once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached
your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty,
Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the
following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching
Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email,
mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the
academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on
your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication
regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by
phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which
Lone Star College provides the federal government with information
from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is
authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are
subject to a criminal background check.