Southern California University of Health Sciences seeks a Vice Provost/Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs
Click here to view full position profile: https://summitsearchsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/SCU_ViceProvost_AVPAA_Profile.pdf
Location: Whittier, California (Remote & Hybrid Options)
The Vice Provost/Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs (Vice Provost/AVPAA) is responsible for the oversight of academic programs and interprofessional education. The Vice Provost/AVPAA is charged with developing and supporting academic leadership; monitoring and supporting student success; advancing the SCU Model of Interprofessional Education; creating a culture of assessment and continuous quality improvement; championing a faculty research and grant-seeking culture; and identifying and advancing opportunities for innovation. The Vice Provost/AVPAA oversees the Deans of the Los Angeles College of Chiropractic, the College of Health Professions, the College of Medical Sciences, and Interprofessional Education. The Vice Provost/AVPAA works closely with colleagues in academic affairs including the AVP of Academic Administration, AVP of Academic Initiatives, AVP of Academic and Online Operations, and AVP of Institutional and Academic Insights.
This is a key leadership position for a highly motivated, self-directed, experienced executive with a passion for building academic programs, mentoring program leaders, developing systems and processes to support student success, and promoting faculty excellence. The Vice Provost/AVPAA reports directly to the Provost, sits on the Provost Council, oversees the Academic Council, and interacts frequently with the President’s Cabinet and Board of Regents.
The Vice Provost/AVPAA will be expected to continue the strong foundation of academic excellence built over the University’s 100+ year history. The University was commended by WSCUC at its most recent reaffirmation for its strong commitment to its mission and values including interprofessional education and integrative, whole-person health; the dedication of its faculty and staff to continuous improvement; its significant investments in personnel and technology; its collaboration across departments to address achievement gaps and provide academic support throughout the student experience; and a responsive and dedicated staff who care deeply about the success of faculty, students, and the institution as a whole. The Vice Provost/AVPAA will join a team of highly committed colleagues dedicated to growing the University while maintaining its successful student outcomes and unique, collaborative, supportive campus community.
Remote Opportunity: This position will require building strong relationships across the campus. Candidates for this position will have the option to work on campus, hybrid, or in a fully remote capacity. Travel to campus on occasion is expected in order to build relationships and attend key events and meetings. Travel costs will be budgeted for and covered by the University.
- Direct responsibility for academic program management.
- Actively participates as a member of the Provost’s leadership team; oversees & facilitates the Academic Council.
- Ensures the development and maintenance of relevant, innovative, quality, marketable academic programs.
- Oversees the preparation of the annual budget for all academic programs, departments, and Colleges in line with the University’s strategic priorities; ensures the completion of annual department plans (DPPs) in alignment with university planning processes.
- In cooperation with the Center for Faculty Development and Excellence, responsible for creating effective faculty hiring, training, qualifications, and development practices.
- Effectively manages and oversees the identification, application, and maintenance of programmatic accreditation.
- Advances grant and fundraising efforts within the colleges and programs.
- Ensures that programs are proactively managing the identification and cultivation of clinical sites; serves as the liaison to the Chief Clinical Officer and SCU Health Clinic(s).
- Ensures student learning outcomes are met through effective curriculum development and assessment activities.
- Implements the University’s master program strategy as it relates to academic programs; provides leadership for the launch of new degree programs.
- Supports enrollment management and student service efforts by ensuring appropriate participation from academic affairs in open houses and other campus events.
- Develops, fosters, and nurtures academic partnerships with universities, corporations, government, and other agencies.
- Works with program leaders and other University departments to ensure programs meet student enrollment, retention, graduation rates, licensure/certification pass rates, average class size, faculty-to-student ratio, and program profitability metrics.
- Maintains regular communication and working relationships with other areas of the University, keeping them informed of current activities and working with them to achieve academic priorities.
- Working with program leaders and other University departments, oversees curriculum mapping, assessment planning, program review, syllabi management.
- Understands and works cooperatively with relevant University departments to ensure all academic matters comply with the standards and expectations of the University’s regional accreditation agency (WSCUC).
- Participates on University activities, task forces, and committees.
- Other duties as requested or assigned.
- Terminal degree from an accredited college or university required, preferably in a healthcare related field.
- Minimum of 5 years academic administrative experience, preferably at a specialized, professional, and/or graduate focused institution.
- Extensive budgeting and planning experience including faculty workload management.
- Experience developing and launching new programs.
- Experience overseeing multiple academic programs.
- Experience identifying, mentoring and developing academic leaders.
- Deep understanding of programmatic accreditation, assessment, and program review.
- Knowledge and awareness of institutional accreditation standards and policies, preferably WSCUC.
- Demonstrated record of progressive and broad scope of responsibility.
- Experience with online education.
- Curriculum design and program development experience.
- Understanding of and appreciation for integrative, whole-person health.
Desired Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent people-manager able to support people and hold them accountable.
- Able to serve as an effective link between administration and faculty; respect for importance of shared governance within a professional school setting.
- An enthusiastic champion of student success and faculty excellence.
- A passionate steward of academic quality, relevance, and innovation.
- A champion of automation and the use of educational technology.
- Extremely capable at planning and budgeting.
- Ability to communicate at all levels of the University.
- Someone who wants to develop relationships and be a part of the SCU community for the long term.
About the Institution:
Southern California University of Health Sciences (SCU) is a regionally accredited, nonprofit institution specializing in healthcare education. SCU is dedicated to its core values of integrative health, evidence-based practice, health equity, and inclusivity.
The mission of Southern California University of Health Sciences (SCU) is to educate students as competent, caring, and successful healthcare practitioners and professionals. An SCU education equips students with the necessary skills and knowledge for their chosen profession while also providing a deep appreciation for integrative, whole-person health. SCU is one of the only universities in the world to combine western, medical, complementary and integrative, and traditional eastern approaches to healthcare.
SCU’s enrollment increased 79% in four years. During that same period, the percentage of students from underrepresented minorities in health-related sciences increased 36% and now represents 44% of the student population. The University is at an exciting inflection point as it intentionally positions itself to become one of the leading integrative health institutions in the nation. Plans to expand program offerings and to enhance interprofessional education opportunities for students are deliberate and strategic as SCU trains students to meet the urgent need to work across disciplines and professions and navigate a variety of philosophies, practices, and treatment options. The University holds institutional accreditation with the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) as well as several programmatic accreditations. Click here to learn more about SCU.
The University is proud of the SCU Health Center, a unique educational health and wellness facility residing in the heart of Whittier, California. SCU Health faculty work directly with clinical students, helping them treat each person as a whole – considering their biology, psychology, sociology, and environment to achieve better health.
The University is committed to providing excellence in academics, service, scholarship, and leadership through its diverse program portfolio:
- Doctor of Chiropractic
- Doctor of Occupational Therapy
- Doctor of Whole Health Leadership (in development)
- Doctor of Physical Therapy (in development)
- Doctor of Medical Science (in development)
- Doctor of Acupuncture & Chinese Herbal Medicine
- Master of Science: Physician Assistant Program
- Master of Acupuncture & Chinese Herbal Medicine
- Master of Science in Human Genetics and Genomics
- Master of Science in Medical Science
- Graduate Certificate in Human Genetics and Genomics
- Post-Baccalaureate Health Education Certificate
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Ayurveda Wellness Educator Certificate
- Ayurveda Practitioner Certificate
- Accelerated Science Courses serving 2000+ course takers
- Additional programs planned in Speech-Language Therapy, Genetics Counseling, Physical Therapy in Arizona, Occupational Therapy in Arizona, and more.
Why Consider the Opportunity:
- Mission & Impact. In this newly created role, the mission and value of integrative health should resonate deeply for the Vice Provost/AVPAA. This is an opportunity to bring a vision for true innovation and expansion, as this position will have extraordinary influence in the development of multiple programs. The Vice Provost/AVPAA will not only shepherd new programs, but also develop and mentor academic leaders, support student success and champion faculty.
- Location flexibility. With the flexibility to choose whether to work remotely, hybrid, or on-site, this position lends itself to a unique blend of educating with a mission and maintaining a high quality of work-life.
- Culture. The University has a collaborative, supportive and collegial environment. An Honor Roll recipient of the Chronicle of Higher Education’s Best Places to Work, SCU has built a community of shared respect and welcomes a diversity of ideas, beliefs, and cultures— creating the cornerstone of an engaging and thriving academic culture.
- Generous time off. Exceptional vacation and paid time off including national holidays, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, New Year’s Eve, 3 floating holidays, 2 paid community service days, 96 hours of sick leave, and 4 weeks of paid vacation time.
- Benefits. Health care plans are paid 100% for employees. Options to enroll family members are available at a reasonable cost.
Confidential review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled; parties who apply by October 8, 2023, will be given first consideration. Please submit a PDF version of your resume and cover letter outlining your interest and suitability for this position.
To apply online go to https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=su386
For more information please contact:
Summit Search Solutions, Inc.
Direct: (919) 357-8766
Salary Range: The broad range is $135,000-$175,000. This is a newly created position and as such, this compensation is open to negotiation based on market data as well as individual’s depth of knowledge and academic leadership experience, particularly in fostering healthcare program development and management.
Southern California University of Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer. Members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.