Union Presbyterian Seminary with campuses in Richmond, VA and Charlotte, NC, seeks a strategic, experienced, and collaborative leader to serve as vice president for advancement (VP). Established in 1812, for over 200 years the Seminary has stood at the forefront of theological education, shaping generations of Christian leaders for ministry locally and around the world.
Working closely with the president and board leadership, as well as division leadership across the Seminary, the vice president will
- determine and implement appropriate strategies to build, expand and elevate UPSem’s culture of philanthropy
- strategically cultivate and engage new relationships with presently unaffiliated populations, communicating to them the UPSem story and mission with the president and communications team, develop clear, consistent, and compelling messaging that leverages the unique mission of UPSem, and strategically deploy technology and other marketing tools to communicate that messaging with diverse audiences develop and provide administrative leadership for special capital campaigns provide strategic vision and effective leadership for the department of advancement (including the offices of alumni relations and communications) in the context of the rapidly changing fundraising landscape of the church, seminary, and non-profit worlds
- possess and act upon a keen understanding of best practices and a comprehensive knowledge of all major development and alumni engagement functions
- actively contribute as a member of the Executive Staff of the President, working collaboratively with the team to establish priorities and plans to support UPSem’s mission, core values, and strategic priorities
Qualifications and Experience
- minimum of ten years of progressively responsible fundraising and managerial experience in advancement, preferably within higher education or a large, multi-unit organization demonstrated success increasing the effectiveness of an existing advancement program and performance of its staff proven achievement in creating a team- and goal-oriented environment that empowers staff proficiency in utilizing fundraising and special events databases and software a bachelor’s degree is required; an additional relevant advanced degree is preferred
Compensation and Location
Union Presbyterian Seminary offers an excellent benefits package and a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Vice President for Advancement could potentially be located on either the Charlotte or the Richmond campus, with the understanding that travel to the other campus would be an important component of the work. Review of applications begins September 26.