Research Development Coordinator - School of Information Sciences
School of Information Sciences
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
The Research Development Coordinator will work collaboratively with the School of Information Sciences' Associate Dean for Research and its faculty, staff, students, and internal/external stakeholders to create and coordinate research programs, research community-building initiatives, interdisciplinary proposals, and grant development. In addition, this position will support administration of the iSchool's Research Services.
Duties & Responsibilities
Research Management (60%):
- Identify strategic funding and research opportunities and match these to iSchool faculty; conduct targeted grant searches and identify new interdisciplinary research opportunities; provide grant development support for new research initiatives; track active and upcoming solicitations and programs.
- Manage faculty research activities, including but not limited to research compliance activities, personnel appointment analysis, proactive research planning and scheduling management, deadlines management to reach deliverables on time, prioritization of cyclical deadlines, and contributing to the creation of reports.
- Maintain information on proposal preparation requirements for relevant federal, state, and local sponsors, foundations, and industry partners.
- Serve as point of contact on compliance activities, such as Institutional Review Board (IRB), Report of Non-University Activities (RNUAS), intellectual property, and conflict of interest.
- Develop and maintain internal systems for project tracking, records management, and other processes.
- Coordinate with relevant committees to facilitate opportunities for student research presentations and collaborations, includes developing and organizing student volunteering and student research processes; collaborating with Student Affairs staff and the Informatics program to recruit research projects, publicize opportunities, and manage applications; crafting and managing the volunteering process for students who are unable to take advantage of course-credit options; and assisting with student travel and student research funding needs.
- Liaise with Communications staff to ensure implementation of research publicity, website updates, story planning, and content tagging. Manage content for front-facing research resources such as the research pages of the iSchool website, Sharepoint site, etc.
Administrative Support (30%)
- Serve as liaison between Research Services and students. faculty, staff, campus units, and outside agencies. Manage conference hosting, research showcase planning, and visits from collaborators and other stakeholders. Coordinate with Research Services and Human Resources on new student and post-doctoral appointments and reappointments, including extensions, salary increases, labor distributions, and redistributions. Create, organize, and maintain processes related to visiting scholars, research fellows, and postdocs, including overseeing space management for labs and workspaces for these groups and associated faculty.
Other Duties as Assigned (10%)
- Provide project management, troubleshooting, and other managerial support. Facilitate providing writing support and publication management assistance. Represent the Associate Dean for Research at meetings and events as needed. Hire and supervise student employees as necessary.
Additional Physical Demands
Work is performed in a typical office setting.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A total of two (2) years in education, training and/or work experience in a research-related field. Demonstrated experience overseeing projects and contributing to multifaceted, detail-oriented tasks.
- Advanced degree in Information Science or related field. Demonstrated experience providing research support, developing research proposals and initiatives, coordinating events and workshops, writing and/or presenting research papers. Experience with budget creation and analysis.
- Preferred: Sponsored Projects and Research Compliance certification, or enrollment in the SPaRC certification course. Completion of, or enrollment in, IRB required training.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated leadership ability that includes a high level of initiative, exercising discretion, prioritizing tasks, and working in teams and independently. Proven organization skills, outstanding oral and written communication skills, and excellent interpersonal skills. Skilled in the use or team collaboration tools such as: Microsoft Teams, Box, Google Suite, Overleaf, Stock, etc. Willingness to engage in professional development activities and attend relevant trainings. Ability to engage in professional development activities and attend relevant trainings.
- Familiarity with research trends related to Information Science; knowledge of policies and procedures of funding agencies; proficiency in research related databases (e.g., Sponsored Program Information Network (SPIN), MyResearch Portal, Division of Management Information (DMI) database, website templates, and spreadsheet operation and presentation software.
This is a 100% full-time Civil Service 5002 - Program Coordinator position, appointed on a 12-month basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after 7/1/2023. Salary is commensurate with experience.
For more information on Civil Service classifications, please visit the SUCSS web site at www.sucss.illinois.gov/pages/classspec/default.aspx.
Application Procedures & Deadline Information
Applications must be received by 6:00 pm (CST) on September, 11th, 2023. Apply for this position using the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this posting. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position. Applications not submitted through jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. Please upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), official transcript for all degrees obtained, and names/contact information for three professional references. If required by the position, transcripts or other documentation of credentials are to be provided no later than the first day of employment. For further information about this specific position, please contact Stephen Downie, firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal, or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing email@example.com.
Requisition ID: 1018043
Job Category: Administrative
Apply at: jobs.illinois.edu