Under direct supervision, perform custodial work required for the
cleaning and upkeep of buildings in accordance with the standards
of the Residence Hall Custodial Department.
Employee benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance;
paid vacation and holidays, including an extra week at year’s end;
paid time off for illness; family and medical leave, including
parental leave; tuition remission and exchange programs allowing
you and your dependents to pursue a bachelor’s and/or master’s
degree for no or low cost; long-term disability insurance;
retirement benefits; supplemental life insurance; and
travel/accident insurance. Employees also have access to credit
union services, wellness programs, employee discounts, and
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform daily custodial duties and work orders as assigned,
including but not limited to. cleaning/maintaining washrooms,
collecting, and removing trash, sweeping, mopping floors and
stairs, and vacuuming carpets.
- Ability to learn to use janitorial equipment, including
automatic scrubber, high-speed buffer, carpet extractor, upright
vacuum, and low-speed floor scrubber.
- Ability to move large and heavy objects either alone or with a
- Maintain adequate stock of custodial supplies in assigned
- Inspect equipment and let supervisor know if there are any
issues with janitorial equipment in your area.
- Shovel and de-ice sidewalks and stairs on campus.
- Assist in setting up or taking down special events as directed.
This may include chairs, tables, and stages.
- Replace light bulbs as needed. Demonstrate proper ladder
- Demonstrate strong commitment to teamwork and continuous
- Support the University’s mission, vision, and values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Willingness to work overtime as needed, including
- Ability to perform actions of climbing stairs and ladders.
Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to pass criminal background check.
- Ability to prioritize and organize tasks.
Employee is subject to both indoor and outdoor environmental
conditions (temperatures varying from below 32 degrees to over 90
degrees) for periods of over one hour, subject to hazards such as
proximity to moving parts, electrical current, etc., and involves
heavy work exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or
in excess of 50 pounds frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force
constantly in order to move objects. Must be able to climb stairs
and ladders and lift 50 pounds.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please provide 3 references, including name, phone number and
email. This may be included in applicant’s cover letter or optional
Elmhurst University is a leading institution of higher education
that seamlessly blends liberal learning and professional
preparation to help students reach their full potential. Elmhurst
University offers more than 70 undergraduate majors, 15 graduate
programs, degree-completion programs for busy adults, and the
acclaimed Elmhurst Learning and Success Academy for young adults
with developmental disabilities. Elmhurst University is one of the
Top 10 Colleges in the Midwest, according to U.S. News & World
Report; and U.S. News, Money and Forbes magazine’s consistently
rank Elmhurst as one of the Midwest’s best values in higher
Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a critical
component of the University’s mission, vision and core values. Our
commitment stems from the belief that an institution of higher
learning is enriched by the presence of diversity. Elmhurst
University is an EO Employer. Elmhurst University prohibits
discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal
employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard
to race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation,
religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status,
disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Direct Link to this Posting