Compensation Type: Hourly
The Specialists in Advising will help support the Advising Central
model and provide office management and triage advising services
for presenting students. This will include but is not limited to
managing transient student email and processing, advising email
support, SAP appeals assistance, live chat coverage, phone
coverage, front desk coverage, drop-in support, website
maintenance, programming support, and general office management.
The Advising Center Specialist provides customer service to new and
continuing students interacting with the Advising Center, providing
a seamless transition throughout the advising process. The
Specialist assists students regarding Academic Advising and
Advising Center functions, as well as assisting them throughout
program completion. Specialists communicate with other student
affairs areas to facilitate the consistent delivery of information
and services and refer students to other departments and resources
- Works with students throughout the advising life cycle.
- Provides basic advising support to students regarding academic
programs and contacts students, guarantors, and others; regularly
interacts with students and parents and follows up on missing or
deficient information in person, by telephone, and by mail.
- Gathers information from students in order to understand and
evaluate individual circumstances; interprets relevant policies,
procedures, and guidelines to determine the best course of
- Assists in advising students on issues that will impact their
placement, enrollment, and financial assistance, including the
potential effect of changes in their course load, withdrawal from
their classes and eligibility for a refund of tuition charges, and
adherence to the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards policy
and appeal process.
- Participates in the planning, coordination, and implementation
of advising activities for new and current students.
- Provides comprehensive customer service in a high volume and
challenging, fast-paced environment, resolving most issues on the
spot and referring students to the appropriate department for
further assistance as necessary.
- Interprets and responds to student inquiries in person, via the
telephone, and electronically.
- Facilitates engaging presentations, first-semester course
recommendations, financial aid support, and general support to new
students and their families.
- Provides information on course selection, prerequisite
authorizations, and other permissions needed for student
- Provides guidance on department and campus processes.
- Maintains Advising Center technology.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
- Tracks all activities, evaluates their effectiveness, and
recommends outreach changes and improvements.
- General duties, which may include scanning documents,
distributing and processing mail, updating and ordering
admissions/registration publications/forms, and various office
- Processes incoming transient student applications and maintains
correspondence with academic advisors, students, and faculty/staff
- Maintains confidentiality of student records and other
- Tracks and inputs data related to Advising Center
- May lead and guide the work of other support staff (i.e.
student employees) as appropriate, facilitates communication of
administrative activities, and workflow to departments and areas
within the Advising Center.
Performs other duties as assigned
- Fosters and maintains a safe environment of respect and
inclusion for faculty, staff, students, and members of the
- Regular, predictable, and punctual attendance is required
*An appropriate combination of education, training,
coursework, and experience may qualify a candidate.
- An Associate's degree
- At least three (3) years of progressively responsible clerical
experience in the area of the assigned specialized function.
- State Motor Vehicle Operator's License or demonstrable ability
to gain access to work site(s).
Hybrid: Monday - Thursday 8 am – 5 pm, Friday 8 am
– 4:30 pm
$18.50 an hour
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):
In order to ensure your application is complete, you must complete
If you are a current employee of Columbus State Community
College, please l og in to Workday to use the internal application
- Please ensure you have all the necessary documents available
when starting the application process. For all faculty positions
(Instructor, Annually Contracted Faculty, and Adjunct), you will
need to upload an unofficial copy of your transcript when
completing your aplication.
- Prior to submitting your application, please review and update
(if necessary) the information in your candidate profile as it will
transfer to your application.
Thank you for your interest in positions at Columbus State
Community College. Once you have applied, the most updated
information on the status of your application can be found by
visiting your Candidate Home. Please view your submitted
applications by logging in and reviewing your status.