The Director of University Catering is responsible for all
aspects of catering events and related services. The Director
exercises leadership and management skills to provide innovative
and efficient services, ensure excellence, and maintain high levels
of satisfaction for students, faculty, staff, and guests through
exemplary customer service and sound financial practices. The
director is the primary overseer and leader for significant campus
events such as commencement, reunion, and other broad
- Develops and documents best practices to ensure efficiency and
consistency in department operations and customer service.
- Develops and implements a comprehensive marketing and strategic
plan for catering to include the marketing budget and website
- Keeps abreast of industry trends and the evolving needs and
preferences of customers to present new and different products and
concepts to increase customer satisfaction and to garner market
- Identifies new opportunities, revenue streams, and technologies
within the industry.
- Creates an environment which encourages maximum productivity,
positive employee morale, teamwork, engagement, and open
- Develops staff training and programs for teams and individuals
in collaboration with executive director.
- Represents and promotes the interest of the university and the
department with a strategic perspective.
- Ensures compliance with university and departmental policies.
Provides oversight for catering software.
Oversees the conceptualization, planning, and implementation of
catering events to support the academic and operational needs of
- Oversees department logistics for event management and
commissary truck delivery.
- Drives creative and aesthetic decisions; develops new creative
concepts and presentation ideas based on market trends and customer
- Collaborates with executive chef on menu design and food cost
- Ensures compliance with Virginia ABC laws and regulations to
include distributions, service, security, inventory, and
- Ensures compliance with all applicable health and safety
- Coordinates and leads special projects for the department, as
Manages the financial operations of University Catering,
including developing and monitoring budgets, managing revenues and
expenditures to meet established goals, and overseeing accounting
- Ensures compliance with established financial and procurement
- Develops reports and annual budgets, and monitors monthly
- Analyzes benchmarking data and ensures standards are at
satisfactory levels or above.
- Maintains responsibility for all financial assets of the
department, including all physical inventory and petty cash.
- Establishes and maintains high quality standards for customer
service, planning, and logistics. Responds to changing needs and
- Promotes a positive relationship with all internal and external
- Develops evaluation mechanisms and metrics data. Analyzes
anecdotal and performance metrics data to continually improve
programs and services.
- Collaborates with service providers in Events and Support
Services, Campus Business Operations, Information Technology,
University Police, Parking Services and other departments to assess
and continuously improve systems, processes, and technology.
- Understanding of higher education infrastructure, missions, and
operations with the ability to communicate and establish
relationships across a spectrum of faculty, staff, and
- Experience in planning and executing high profile events and
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal and conflict
- In depth knowledge of food and beverage, and all aspects of
catering planning and execution with demonstrated creativity.
Thorough knowledge of best practices in catering management.
- Ability to learn and use current technologies. Knowledgeable in
the use of catering-related computer software.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards, tact, and diplomacy to
work with the University's hierarchy; maintains
- Ability to apply critical thinking, exercise flexibility, and
work calmly and efficiently under pressure.
- Effective management of diverse human resource needs. Training
and delegation skills.
- Excellent fiscal management skills.
- Required: Must have a valid Driver's License and be able to
produce a driving record with a minimum of 3 years of driving
history in good standing
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor degree in hotel, hospitality, or event management, or
related field, or combination of equivalent experience and
- Five or more years in a higher education setting
- Minimum of seven years' catering management experience.
- Minimum of three years' supervisory experience.
- Serve Safe certification and Alcohol Service Certification
- Full-time, exempt position
- Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; 7.75 hrs./day; 38.75
hrs./week; weekends and evenings as needed
SALARY STRUCTURE: Pay Grade 9 (Hiring Range $73,008.00 to
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and
student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which
values the expression of differences in ways that promote
excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and
institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our
academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and
candidates who support diversity. EOE