Position Information-Job Vacancy
Program Director, Student Support Services/TRIO
Full Time or Part Time
Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only)
Student Support services/TRIO
Hiring Salary Range
Job Description Summary
Be responsible for the overall administration of the TRIO SSS
Program, including supervision of staff, budget management, project
evaluation, and general coordination of all activities to ensure
participant success and attainment of program objectives.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree in higher education administration, student
personnel counseling, or related field.
- Minimum of three years of higher education experience,
particularly in areas of managing and/or coordinating projects,
grant writing, managing and interpreting federal, state and local
laws, codes and regulations preferably with TRIO program, project
evaluation and budget oversight.
- Minimum of two years of supervisory experience required.
- Experience in a federal or state-funded educational support
grant program (e.g., TRIO, Gear Up, Title III, Perkins).
- Master’s preferred.
- Knowledge of federal guidelines to include TRIO Legislation,
EDGAR, and OMB circulars.
- Knowledge of post- secondary student development theory and/or
personality theory; excellent listening and guidance skills;
ability to easily relate to student needs and determine course of
- Ability to support the area of Student Success & Engagement
in efforts to increase student retention and graduation.
- Knowledge of academic advising in higher education.
- Ability to communicate orally and in written format.
- Ability to use current Microsoft applications including
Publisher, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of and experience using student information
- Ability to determine learning outcomes for student activities
and programs and assess such.
- Knowledge of producing documents accurately and in a timely
manner through the use of word processing.
- Ability to perform detailed work independently, as well as, in
a team environment.
The following criteria, which are not the sole
criteria used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review
the applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum
qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be
interviewed. Other information and observations made during the
interview process may be considered in the selection process. A
Resume/CV and cover letter are required with the application.
Please ensure that your documents address the criteria listed below
for this position.
- Oversee the administrative aspects of the TRIO SSS program to
ensure the TRIO SSS Program is in full compliance with the Higher
Education Act, all amendments and all applicable federal
regulations, including EDGAR and OMB circulars.
- Ensure the program is meeting all expectations as outlined by
the Department of Education and as approved in the awarded
- Communicate with Department of Education and Program Specialist
- Responsible for gathering all necessary data for reporting
purposes as required by the Department of Education, Federal TRIO
Programs, college auditor, college grants officer, supervisor,
and/or other stakeholders of the college community.
- Responsible for developing individual performance goals,
setting expectations, and providing supervision of staff.
- Plan and coordinate professional development opportunities for
all staff members.
- Effectively administer the budget and maintain fiscal
- Monitor expenditures to ensure compliance with TRIO SSS program
goals and objectives.
- Oversee the awarding of the grant-in-aid to eligible
participants and ensure funds are spent according to Federal
Guidelines outlined by EDGAR and the OMB circular.
- Promote an environment in the program which encourages the
retention and success of students.
- Be responsible for verifying the appropriate selection of
project participants, which includes supervising and ensuring
maintenance of an effective system of admission, monitoring of
academic progress and service records on participants in accordance
with federal regulations, and maintaining a current accurate roster
of TRIO SSS participants.
- Ensure programming is available to assist student participants
with securing financial aid, developing financial literacy
seminars, building academic success skills and applying to upper
- Provide individual services such as advising, guidance,
counseling, or tutoring, consistent with the SSS program
- Oversee services for TRIO SSS participants, including tutoring,
course advisement, financial aid counseling, career services,
graduation, and transfer.
- Coordinate program activities with institutional
administrators, faculty, and staff on programmatic needs and
- Disseminate information about the services provided by TRIO SSS
to the College, making presentations on TRIO SSS, and planning
functions to promote the program.
- Research, write and submit TRIO SSS grant proposal in
conjunction with the Grant’s Office.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the Dean or Associate
Dean, Student Success & Engagement.
Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively
communicate and interact with other employees and the public
through the use of the telephone and personal contact as normally
defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle, or feel
objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and
operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not
limited to a, personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax
machine. No significant climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching,
reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping,
and repetitive motions.
Is Background Check Required?
- A valid, state-issued driver’s license is required.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present
acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a
U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
- A background investigation will be conducted prior to the offer
of employment. A signed authorization for the release of personal
information will be required if selected for an interview.
Is the incumbent responsible for working with minor children or
directly engaging with minor children on campus?
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Background Check Statement
Prince George’s Community College is committed to providing a safe
campus community. PGCC conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record
check, education verification, and when appropriate, a financial
(credit) report or driving history check.
Special Instructions to Applicants
; you will receive an email acknowledging
receipt of your application, upon which time no further
communication occurs unless selected for an interview or the
position is filled. If recommended for hire, communication is
immediately sent to your references listed on your application.
Also, you will receive an email notification from HireRight
requesting you to submit authorization to complete a background
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have at least a Bachelor’s degree in student personnel
counseling, higher education administration or related field?
- * Do you have a minimum of three years of higher education
experience, particularly in areas of managing and/or coordinating
projects, grant writing, managing and interpreting federal, state
and local laws, codes and regulations preferably with TRIO program,
project evaluation, and budget oversight?
- * Do you have two years supervisory experience?
- * Do you now or in the future require visa sponsorship to
continue working in the United States? As required by the 1986
Immigration Act, candidates must present acceptable documentation
showing that they are a U.S. Citizen or a resident authorized to
work in the U.S.
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- HigherEd Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Personal Referral
- PGCC Website
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
- The Washington Post
- Other: Please indicate below
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity? If you
selected 'Other' please indicate source:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter