Compensation Type: Salaried
Within the Engineering Technologies Program, the Holistic Academic
Advisor is the primary point of contact from admission to
completion for in-depth, wrap-around support that spans academic,
career, financial, and personal dimensions. The Holistic Academic
Advisor is responsible for creating strong relationships with each
student in a defined caseload. Through these relationships, the
Holistic Academic Advisor provides sustained, strategic,
integrated, proactive, and personalized student support. The
Holistic Academic Advisor also builds community and seeks to
connect students with one another, fostering a strong sense of
belonging. The Holistic Academic Advisor is the cornerstone of the
student experience in the Engineering Technologies Program.
Advising and Holistic Case Management
- Supports students through the placement and onboarding phase of
the admission process. Guides students through the placement
process by communicating regularly with students regarding their
status and assisting with any steps in the process.
- Collaborates with New Student Onboarding and Assessment content
for online orientation designed specifically for students in the
Engineering Technologies Program. Maps first-semester course
recommendations for all incoming students.
- Meets with students on first-semester course recommendations
and assists with registration. Tracks which students need more
focused outreach about any step in the onboarding to the
Academic and Career Coaching
- Serves as the primary point of contact for Engineering
Technologies. Manages a caseload of students with the goal of
understanding and helping students progress through their
educational journey to completion.
- Meets with students at least twice a semester to develop and
monitor academic, career, and financial plans that promote student
success. Advises students on academic programs, course selection,
prerequisites, re sequenced programs of study, and eligibility via
in-person, e-mail, or virtual delivery formats.
- Coordinates student support and outreach with an identified
network of care (including Columbus State staff, financial aid
advisors, student services staff, and community partners) to assist
students having difficulties of any kind. Collaborates with program
staff and partners across campus to assist students experiencing
academic difficulty (warning, probation, and academic
- Proactively communicates with students (announcements, weekly
pop-up visits, etc.) to enhance the holistic student experience at
key points in a semester and along a student’s journey. Ensures
student caseload receives pertinent and timely college
communication. Works collaboratively with program faculty to stay
abreast of changes and developments in the Engineering Technologies
Programming and Student Engagement
- Expands beyond the transactional elements of traditional
advising and seeks to engage the whole student in the educational
journey. Provides high-level academic and career coaching to
students and addresses the most immediate or timely needs. Provides
career coaching in collaboration with the Career Services team to
support students in their career decision-making.
- Provides individual support and group coaching for students in
assigned caseloads on topics related to effective communication
with faculty, goal setting, time management, study skills, and
other relevant student success topics.
- Collaborates with faculty to understand and share student
issues relevant to academic success.
Data, Reporting, & Assessment
- Contributes to the onboarding, community building, and sense of
belonging for students.
- This includes but is not limited to actively planning and/or
participating in student-centered programming for Engineering
Technologies students, participating in selected recruitment events
for incoming students, planning and/or participating in spring and
summer onboarding events for incoming students, and providing
leadership for a successful online orientation for students.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
- Tracks student data that guides the proactive and intrusive
approach to supporting student success. Tracks cohort data, service
delivery, and reporting data and outcomes.
- Reviews and interprets advising and related data and identifies
trends that inform new strategies to improve advising efficiency
- Demonstrates ability to use data to solve problems and improve
advising practices. Demonstrates high proficiency with technology
platforms, including Starfish, Blackboard, Achievement Analytics,
- Prepares bi-weekly advising reports.
- Fosters and maintains a safe environment of respect and
inclusion for faculty, staff, students, and members of the
- Creates a welcoming, inclusive, equitable, and productive work
and learning environment where all students, faculty members, and
college employees feel valued and are able to contribute to their
full potential, regardless of their differences.
*An appropriate combination of education, training,
coursework, and experience may qualify a candidate.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Counseling, Human Services, or
a related field.
- One (1) year of advising, teaching, tutoring, and/or academic
support experience in a college environment, which can include work
done in a graduate assistant role as professional experience.
- State Motor Vehicle Operator's License or demonstrable ability
to gain access to work site(s).
Temporary Full-Time Position: Monday - Friday 8 am
- 5 pm
CSCC has the right to revise this position description at any
time. This position description does not represent in any way a
contract of employment.
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):
In order to ensure your application is complete, you must complete
If you are a current employee of Columbus State Community
College, please l og in to Workday to use the internal application
- Please ensure you have all the necessary documents available
when starting the application process. For all faculty positions
(Instructor, Annually Contracted Faculty, and Adjunct), you will
need to upload an unofficial copy of your transcript when
completing your aplication.
- Prior to submitting your application, please review and update
(if necessary) the information in your candidate profile as it will
transfer to your application.
Thank you for your interest in positions at Columbus State
Community College. Once you have applied, the most updated
information on the status of your application can be found by
visiting your Candidate Home. Please view your submitted
applications by logging in and reviewing your status.