Teaching Innovation and Learning Technologies
Job Posting Title
Instructional Designer, Department of Teaching Innovation and
The Department of Teaching Innovation and Learning Technologies
provides FHSU faculty with opportunities for growth as professional
educators and the means to learn innovative teaching strategies for
all instructional environments, physical and/or virtual. Reporting
to the Assistant Provost for Teaching Innovation and Learning
Technologies, the Instructional Designer actively collaborates and
engages with faculty to design and build engaging online courses
and instructional assessments and activities.
Additionally, the Instructional Designer provides guidance and
support to faculty through each stage of course development. This
is an exciting opportunity for a candidate who is passionate about
learning, pedagogy and technology. A key requirement of this
position is the ability to consult with faculty to ensure a
high-quality, high engagement learning experiences for students,
incorporating regular and substantive interactions and including
opportunities for collaborative learning. This is an
on-campus position located in Hays, Kansas.
- Master’s degree in Instructional Design/Technology, Learning
Science or related discipline
- Professional content production and/or project management
- Previous experience in course design, development,
- Proven record of positive, collaborative working relationships
with diverse colleagues, students, and faculty with different
levels of technical knowledge
- Experience taking, creating, or administering online
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and organizational
- Ability to develop workflows and business procedures.
- Proficiency in one or more learning management systems
(Blackboard Learn preferred)
- Doctoral degree in education (e.g., Instructional
Design/Technology, Learning Science or related discipline)
- Two (2) or more years of experience with instructional design,
education technology, learning spaces (online and classroom), and
learning management systems
- Extensive knowledge of instructional design theories and
models, such as ADDIE, system design for instruction, Bloom’s
Taxonomy, and UDL
- Online teaching experience in higher education
- Assisting in planning for constant quality improvement and
assessment in blended/online teaching and learning formats.
- Extensive experience working with learning design tools and
- Knowledge of how accessibility technologies and ADA/Section 504
(Americans with Disabilities Act) requirements apply to online
September 24, 2023. Review of
applications will begin after the priority deadline and continue
until the position is filled.
: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
Under limited supervision, will need to exercise judgment,
initiative, discretion and analysis in carrying out duties. Will
solve varied and complex challenges across a variety of domains.
Must have demonstrated ability to lead projects and meet deadlines
in a goal-oriented environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Ancillary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Consult with faculty to identify, select, and integrate
appropriate technology to complement pedagogical approaches in
diverse learning environments;
- Engage with opportunities to think creatively and find
innovative solutions to online course delivery challenges
- Articulate and reinforce course development process and faculty
responsibilities, as well as establish milestone deadlines and gain
buy-in from faculty to meet deadlines.
- Provide technical support assistance for other learning
technologies supported by TILT including the process of piloting
- Research new and emerging uses of digital resources and
- Serve on committees and being involved with the FHSU
- Engage in professional development activities, including
attending and presenting at conferences, participating in webinars,
and reading current research to stay abreast of developments in the
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Assistant Provost
To apply for this position, please
Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be
Required Application Documents
: Applicants should submit a
cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three
Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact Dr.
Andrew Feldstein at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately
20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on
Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health
care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for
the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent
recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive
Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill
Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking,
running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large
lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and
camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to
Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to
excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60
restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and
very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming,
low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who
call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination
– Fort Hays State University is
an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the
basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age,
marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability
or veteran status.
Final candidate will have consented to and
successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position:
legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and
your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please
contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org
further information on how this might affect you.