Job Posting Information
Job Posting Number
Director of Financial Aid, Systems and Operations
Regular or Contingent II
Desired Start Date
$105,000 - $115,000
Open Until Filled
Duties and Responsibilities
Join a dynamic team of professionals at Bowie State University!
Founded in 1865, Bowie State University is the oldest Historically
Black College/University in Maryland and one of the ten oldest in
the country. Bowie State University is a part of the University
System of Maryland and is in the midst of one of the nation’s most
exciting metropolitan areas, within an easy reach of Washington,
D.C. and Baltimore. We are currently seeking a Director of
Financial Aid, Systems and Operations to provide leadership and
strategic direction in oversight of the Financial Aid Office.
The Director of Financial Aid, Systems and Operations will report
to the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student
Affairs, and will oversee all aspects of the compliant
administration of federal, state, and institutional financial aid
and scholarships, through management of all Peoplesoft
(PeSo)/Student Financial Planning Module ( SFP ) system set up and
processing. S/he will be responsible for both routine reporting to
senior management, outside agencies, and adhoc reporting. Ensure
compliance with all federal, state and institutional regulations,
policies and procedures related to the administration of financial
aid as well as ensure the institution fulfills all Title IV
compliance requirements. Partner with the Assistant Director with
strategic planning; budget development; enrollment management
functions, especially those related to access and affordability,
emergency preparedness; and statistical data management, including
outcomes assessment. Manage PeSo/ SFP daily operations with the
U.S. Department of Education via the COD system which is the U.S.
Department of Education’s system for processing and approving all
federal aid origination and disbursement records. Serve as the
Chief Administrator on the implementation and continual enhancement
of all financial aid technology operations. Work closely with the
Enrollment Management Business Analyst to manage the PeSo/ SFP
platforms as it relates to institutional reporting and compliance,
FISAP, and FAIS .
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES :
· Responsible for the daily core operations for financial aid
services and the management of the PeopleSoft/ SFP platforms,
including all aspects of importing/exporting financial aid
records/data, batch award processing, disbursing, reconciliation,
beginning and end of semester/year clean-up processes, and return
to Title IV funds.
· Partner with the assistant director with strategic planning and
· Oversee the set up and implement the PeopleSoft/ SFP system for
each new academic year.
· Responsible for testing new patches and updates to PeopleSoft/
SFP software for the Financial Aid Module.
· Manage all aspects of student eligibility, including evaluation,
online processing, all related record keeping, and student
· Provide stewardship of the timely processing and reconciliation
of our federal and state- based programs.
· Assist the assistant director as appropriate with the ongoing
in-house staff training program and new staff training and with the
development of broader professional training.
· Serve on various committees across campus to ensure that federal
regulations and expectations are met by the college and that the
needs of financial aid students and the impact of various college
programs, policies and procedures for this population are
· Work with other Enrollment Services units, Student Accounts and
other college units, as appropriate, to resolve student
· Work in collaboration with the assistant director in reviewing,
interpreting, and implementing new federal and state laws and
· Assist with updating the Financial Aid policies and procedures
· Maintain memberships and participates actively in appropriate
organizations and attends conferences and regular training
· Partner with business analyst to address the data requests and
reporting as needed.
· Responsible for all FA system related access requests, both
internally and with third party software systems.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
· A minimum five (5) years of experience in financial aid required
with at least two years in a senior leadership role.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to provide
strategic direction to the financial aid team.
· Thorough understanding of federal Title IV law and
· Superior technology knowledge and experience required; specific
interest in financial aid- related technology strongly
· Demonstrated excellent customer service experience, strong
organizational skills, and ability to communicate.
· Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
· Proven ability to multi-task is required to address customer
service, personnel, technology, and department specific issues
often at the same time.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
The Director of Financial Aid, Systems and Operations will work in
a professional office environment with possible high-stress levels.
Must be flexible to adapt to fluctuating scheduling needs at the
front-facing counter, on the phone, and via chat. Excellent
communication and customer service skills are required. Maintain
the highest level of confidentiality of records and information.
Many times, referrals are made to this position when other staff or
other areas of campus are unable to resolve issues.
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature
and level of work performed by this person in this position. It is
not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by
the incumbent, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of
any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees
under their supervision (e.g., other duties as assigned).
Conditions of Employment
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of
a criminal background check and verification of credentials. Proof
of US citizenship or eligibility for U.S. employment will be
required prior to employment (Immigration Control Act of
Please be advised, COVID -19 vaccinations are not required but are
encouraged for faculty and staff to be employed at Bowie State
University. This protocol is subject to change.
This position is Non-Union.
Relocation assistance may be considered.
BSU offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation
days, 13 holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and
retirement options; flexible spending accounts, employee assistance
program, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and tuition
remission for employees and their dependents at any of the
University System of Maryland schools.
For best consideration, please apply by September 25,
Posting Detail Information
Special Instructions to Applicant
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * Do you have a minimum of five years of experience in
- * Do you have at least two years in a senior leadership role?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application