The Michigan School of Psychology (MSP), located in Farmington Hills, MI, is a dynamic, independent, not-for-profit higher education institution providing master of arts and doctoral degrees in clinical psychology and a post-masters certificate in applied behavior analysis. MSP seeks a highly responsible, experienced, effective administrator to fill the full-time executive position of Vice President of Services & Operations/Chief Operating Officer.
Job Title: Vice President of Services & Operations/Chief Operating Officer
Reports to: President
Employment Classification: Executive
Supervises: Human Resources & Institutional Effectiveness
Student Services/Registrar & Admissions
Financial Aid/Donor Management
Information Technology & Campus Security
Chief Financial Officer
The Vice President of Services & Operations is responsible for providing overall operational leadership for the Michigan School of Psychology (MSP). The Vice President monitors, develops, and implements policies, procedures and practices designed to ensure the effective delivery of programs and services necessary that support the mission of the institution.
The Vice President is responsible for creating and maintaining a culture in which the academic programs and institutional operations thrive and graduate students are successful. This includes working cooperatively with faculty, student and academic services staff, executive leadership and the Board of Trustees in contributing to a collaborative culture that supports student satisfaction, retention, and successful completion. As an integral part of the executive leadership team, the Vice President’s role is critical to maintaining effective communication between administration, faculty, staff and students.
Reporting directly to the President, the Vice President plays a key role in administrative decision-making and collaborates on operational, budgetary and personnel matters. The Vice President provides leadership in campus and school-wide initiatives to include facility and financial operations, technology and student services, Human Resources, and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion activities. The Vice President plays a key role in all accreditation activities, including annual data reporting. As Chief Operating Officer, the Vice President oversees all financial and administrative operations to include vendor contracts and services.
The Vice President serves as a member of the executive leadership team and contributes to the deliberations and implementation of institutional policies and practices. This position is classified as a full-time executive position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Institutional Management & Leadership
- Develops short- and long-term planning in support of the school mission, strategic goals and objectives; analyzes data trends to support MSP in strategies for performance and growth. Serves as liaison to the Board of Trustees; attends all meetings to include Executive Board and Audit and Finance Committees; assists the Executive Officers of the Board in execution of responsibilities between meetings and in other extraordinary circumstances. Supervises Executive Assistant in work with the BOT to include maintaining the Board Portal, all record keeping and execution of all BOT activities and required documentation. Supports Executive Assistant in all Board activities such as Annual Retreat Planning, Conflict of Interest monitoring, Board Evaluations, etc. Oversees all Human Resources functions to include recruitment of a diverse workforce; effective hiring practices, employee training and retention. Supervises direct reports in the day to day management of facility, security, and technology operations and infrastructure. Oversees financial, administrative and student services; ensures compliance with industry standards and regulations. Advocates for and supports institutional DEI priorities and services that support student success and completion.
Services & Operations
- Manages all professional contracts to include Accounting Services, outsourced Title IX Service, Lobbying and Legal engagements. Oversees ongoing and project based vendor contracts. In conjunction with the Chief Financial Officer (contracted service) develops and monitors institutional budget and financial procedures; ensures adherence to financial operating procedures; updates procedures as needed. Oversees all financial operations and procedures to include annual financial audit, budget building and management, weekly accounts payable, annual reporting to financial institutions, planning for capital expenditures. Serves as administrator for all institutional banking, financial, benefits, and retirement services. Establishes enrollment projections and tuition and fees for approval by the Board of Trustees. Ensures compliance with all school, state and federal policies and regulations pertaining to operations, accreditation and fiscal responsibility. Reviews and approves institutional marketing/advertising initiatives and expenses. Assists in managing communications; including routine and crisis response. Conducts annual review of Employee benefits; reviews and approves any changes to benefit structure and products. Conducts annual risk management review; ensures comprehensive coverage with all insurance products for property, liability, and clinical training.
Policy & Procedure
- Ensures compliance with federal regulations governing institutional procedures and annual compliance reporting for IPEDS, SEVIS, HLC, Safety and Security to include public notification. Oversees annual compliance registration and reporting to include corporate filings with State of Michigan, EZ-Audit, Federal Program Participation Agreement and other mandatory reporting. Assists in managing institutional processes established for resolution of student or employee concerns or complaints in a timely manner as outlined in policy. Coordinates the development, revision and implementation of institutional policies and procedures. Ensures compliance with established processes to support effective operations and integrity. Leads service areas through planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of new and ongoing initiatives. Ensures that work schedules are developed to meet institutional and student needs. Monitors emerging trends in higher education and non-profit management, technology, and operations to support the success of a single purpose graduate School. Serves as MSP’s Principal Designated School Official for oversight of international F-1 students; serves as Deputy Title IX Coordinator.
Accreditation & Effectiveness
- Leads and monitors institutional accreditation initiatives. Serves as the Accreditation Liaison Officer – Higher Learning Commission. Assists in all program level accreditation activities. In conjunction with the Vice President of Academics, ensures alignment between institutional operations and standards of accreditation. Ensures an ongoing culture of assessment and continuous improvement. Ensures the collection and integrity of data for institutional effectiveness and accreditation purposes. Assists the Director of Human Resources in annual assessments and surveys, reviews outcomes with appropriate faculty and staff for future action. Ensures the quality of the service operations that support maintaining and achieving accreditation for all programs.
- A Master’s Degree in Management, Human Resources or Higher Education Administration or related field
- At least 10 years of senior level administrative experience in higher education or non-profit organizations
- Highly skilled and effective experience implementing institutional initiatives
- Demonstrated experience in accreditation activities
- Demonstrated commitment to ethical, effective operations management with a focus on continuous improvement
- Commitment to support and advance the School’s Mission and Values
- Demonstrated leadership experience with evidence of a collaborative, respectful leadership style
- Excellent communication, public speaking, critical thinking and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Vice President is a full-time salaried position with benefits. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, paid time off, retirement benefits (after one year of service), flexible spending account, dependent care spending account, life, short and long-term disability insurance.
This position is exempt from provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and is not eligible to earn overtime pay for hours worked above 40 in a single work week.
This is not a remote position; work is performed in person on campus.