Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) seeks a Grounds & Moving
Supervisor to join its Facilities team. Facilities supports RISD’s
mission by maintaining a safe and sustainable campus through
planning, construction services, building operations, careful
management of resources, and respectful personal interaction with
the entire RISD community.
The Grounds & Moving Supervisor oversees work covering all
phases of daily groundskeeping and maintenance, ensuring that RISD
grounds are maintained in accordance with all applicable codes and
safety regulations and are representative of a leading art and
design institution, and aligned with applicable APPA standards.
This position is responsible for the organization of day-to-day
work and supervision of the grounds and moving staff, and prepares
schedules, assigns work, provides training, and exceptional
customer service to the Community. The supervisor also coordinates
and interacts with external suppliers to obtain and review service
offerings and price and make recommendations to management.
- Hire, train, supervise, and ensure continued development of
grounds and moving staff, ensuring compliance with departmental
policies and procedures and that work is performed in a manner
which supports overall strategic goals and priorities. Provide
daily direction and guidance; prepare schedules and work
assignments; monitor the quality of work in assigned areas and
regularly evaluate and maintain weekly work performance of assigned
staff; and maintain job records and review and approve employee
time cards and time-off requests.
- Inform and oversee the application of pesticides in all outdoor
areas. Determine the best location of flower beds and best
varieties to be planted. Layout flower beds and other decorative
vegetation. Supervise heavy rigging and all moving of office
furniture and institutional equipment. Assist the custodial or
maintenance departments as required. Responsible for the
coordination of trash pickup including communication and planning
with outside contractors. Takes leadership role during inclement
weather, to ensure sufficient personnel/resources to keep walkways,
sidewalks, and stairs clear of snow and ice and by operating
tractors, forklifts and loaders in removing snow and ice from
walks, driveways, parking lots, as well as during new landscape
- Coordinate and contact suppliers for services and goods.
Collect and review bids and evaluate services and pricing. Make
recommendations as appropriate. May provides oversight to selected
vendor(s) and/or ensure projects are done to bid specifications.
Keep management abreast of status, jobs, and issues and ensure
appropriate parties are notified of any changes, concerns,
- Responsible for the effective inventory processes; service,
maintenance, and upkeep; and distribution of all lawn, garden, snow
removal, and other related equipment and materials used by
groundskeepers/movers, including processing monthly supply orders
and ordering equipment.
- Identify, test and evaluate new products, equipment, clothing
and vendors as appropriate. Coordinate and review bids and make
recommendations to management based on findings.
- Serve as an initial point of contact in emergency situations.
Evaluate emergency information and determine staffing needed to
- Complete and maintain electronic records, logs and forms (i.e.
1st reports of injury, EAF). Ensure files and data are accurate and
- Ensure that all safety and OSHA regulations are observed in
departmental operations by actively enforcing safe working
practices and safety programs as established by RISD EHS and
promoting proper working habits. Ensure staff receive all relevant
training and information by disseminating and reviewing materials,
literature, and delivering training as assigned.
- Respond to maintenance and emergency calls on a 24-hour
- Safely operate RISD vehicles and equipment to transport
materials and navigate campus.
- Perform related assignments as requested, including but not
limited to overseeing new landscape installations and install and
maintain leach fields.
- Ability to operate machines used in grounds work.
- Must be able to work with and communicate effectively with a
wide variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds using both
verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs such as Word and
Excel required and/or the willingness to attend user training for
required technology (ie: College supported enterprise systems such
as Workday, etc.)
- Valid forklift license or the ability to train and obtain the
required license within the orientation and review period
- Valid DOT medical card or the ability to obtain within 90 days
of hire is required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- BA or equivalent combination of education and experience with
additional specialized courses and certifications in
- Minimum of five (5) years experience in the landscaping field,
including prior experience leading, guiding or mentoring
- Prior experience working with outside vendors and reviewing
bids and requests for services preferred.
- Certified Commercial Chemical Applicators License desired or
must be able to obtain within one (1) year of date of hire.
35 hours/week; 12 months/year
Full-Time; Regular. Exempt.
Documents Needed to Apply:
Cover Letter (Strongly Preferred)
Salary Grade Structure
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload
all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our
pre-employment background screening requirements.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its
learning community and integral to an art and design education. We
welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute
to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability,
veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by
For internal use only - Job Family:
Facilities - Grounds