Reporting to the Vice President for Advancement, the Director of
Public Relations/Community Outreach will be a creative and
innovative leader who develops and supports public and media
relations plans that build and sustain messaging in support of
Baltimore City Community College at the local, state, and national
levels. The College is undergoing realignment strategies across its
operations and the Director must bring high energy and enthusiasm
toward setting the stage for the next evolution of the institution
and its brand. The Director is responsible for building
opportunities to advance the College’s programs and strategies
while managing the flow of internal and external communications to
promote one institutional voice.
- Takes the lead in the development of public relations and
outreach initiatives, including issues and crisis communication
- Directs the narrative when disseminating news with media,
elected officials, community organizations, and College
stakeholders. Builds and cultivates relationships with community
representatives and internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborates and works with the Marketing Department to
coordinate production of print, radio and television
advertisements, and on-air promotions. Works with monitoring
services to share related news articles naming the College.
Public and College Relations/Community Outreach
- Develops and implements comprehensive media strategy to
maximize exposure for College programs.
- Works with the Marketing Department to coordinate production of
print, radio and television advertisements, and on-air promotions.
Provides media (print, cable TV, radio, social media, web sites,
etc.) with notices of upcoming events, programs, and
- Develops and implement engagement strategies to maximize
positive media exposure for College programs, faculty and
- Cultivates relationships with traditional and nontraditional
media, responds to media requests, and communicates upcoming events
and campus programming. Provides routine updates to improve,
evaluate, and enhance processes and communications.
- Manages editorial requests, corporate, non-profit and
government meetings, press releases, and press conferences.
- Works with the Vice President and College leadership to
identify key stakeholders among community, business, faith-based,
legislative, and other key groups for targeted outreach
- Edits and produces weekly, monthly, and quarterly
- Identifies community events and efforts that coincide
strategically with the College’s mission and values.
- Maintains ongoing relationship with public relations
counterparts at other Maryland community colleges (including MACC
and MCCPRO) to support joint efforts. Assists with preparation of
presentations for the President; edits content as needed for
College and Foundation publications.
- Helps to identify subject matter experts who can support
faculty and staff while expanding the visibility of the College.
Directs the development of and actively maintains multiple
databases of contact information for targeted constituencies.
- Works collaboratively with security and other departments on
campus and provides resources to Cabinet leaders in the event of a
crisis. Manages internal and external communications about campus
operations during emergency/hazardous or other occurrences.
***PLEASE UPLOAD 7 PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES as an additional
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong working relationship with local media and knowledge of
the City of Baltimore preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to strategically develop, build and
achieve long-term and short-term capacity to reach goals and
objectives at the functional and organizational levels.
Demonstrated ability to develop and execute effective strategic
plans while anticipating future consequences and
- Demonstrated skill in approaching sensitive issues with
respect, discretion and confidentiality.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to
collaborate, influence, motivate, negotiate, communicate, resolve
conflicts, and effectively coach staff and managers. Effective
leadership skills that energize multi-disciplined work teams.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and conceptual skills.
Effective presentation skills.
- Knowledge of Greater Baltimore and surrounding areas
- Must have own transportation
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, public relations, journalism,
English, communications, multimedia or related field from an
accredited college or university, or some college and evidence of
progressive work experience.
- Seven to ten years of experience in communications, public
affairs, or community relations. Seven years of progressively
responsible supervisory/management experience
- Able to be responsive to media representatives during routine
and emergency situations.
- Master’s degree in public or media relations, marketing,
- Prior experience managing multiple responsibilities in a
fast-paced work environment.
- Previous experience with higher education or in an academic