Director, Information Tech
Information Tech Services
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity,
vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by
delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and
- This position is an on-site position which requires the
incumbent to complete their work primarily at an NAU site, campus,
or facility with or without accommodation. Opportunities for remote
work are rare.
- This position has the potential for a hybrid schedule which
allows the incumbent to complete their work at both an NAU site,
campus, or facility and at a non-centralized site with or without
Following strategic direction from the Chief Information Officer,
this position is responsible for driving institutional success
through the implementation, operation, and support of technology
infrastructure and application systems. Primary responsibility is
the successful management of engineering, operations, and support
teams engaged in the planning, design and implementation of
hardware, software and network technologies, and monitoring, daily
maintenance and support of server and ancillary systems,
networking, and datacenters. The successful candidate must
demonstrate a history of relevant and proactive support of similar
systems, and project implementations. Infrastructure Services is
embarking on a major process and service improvement effort. This
position will be key in the direction, implementation and success
of both strategic IT initiatives and operational
Leadership - 30%
- Provide leadership and vision to the teams responsible for
engineering and operational work.
- Supervise, hire, train, and evaluate assigned staff.
- Work with employees to correct deficiencies; recommend and
implement corrective action and discipline.
- Advise and confer with team members on administrative policies
and procedures, technical problems, priorities, and methods.
- Consult with team members in other areas to coordinate
Budget & Strategic Planning - 30%
- Responsible for long and short-term planning and monitoring for
- Partners closely with the City of Flagstaff, Coconino County,
Tri-Universities, and other related entities to ensure strategic
alignment between project scope, infrastructure/platform
guidelines, and business needs.
- Support a continuous improvement mindset.
- Manage recommendations for improvements and encourages team to
- Serve as a member of the ITS Leadership team by participating
in strategic planning and governance.
- Responsible for Infrastructure & Platform Services
- Represent Infrastructure & Platform Services on various
committees and work groups.
Communication & Relationships - 25%
- Ensure appropriate and timely communication with Information
Technology Services Leadership Team and NAU technology governance
- Work to support and develop positive relationships between
- May represent the team on client calls, translating technical
explanations and resolutions into business terms.
Service Delivery - 10%
- Maintain knowledge of current technology and management trends
in higher education to enable promoting new ideas in support of the
mission of NAU.
- Drive consistency in delivery process and compliance.
- Ensure business continuity capabilities of critical
- Ensure effective and complete use of current technical
resources and products.
Other - 5%
- Performs duties of a related nature as assigned by the
- On-call duties may be required for this position.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science or related field;
- 3-5 years of management experience; AND,
- 5-7 years of relevant experience; OR,
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be
substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Excellent supervisory, organizational and leadership
- Demonstrated successful project management skills.
- Skill in program development and execution.
- Knowledge of modern infrastructure and application technologies
including servers, storage, networking, databases, client
management, data center and cloud services.
- Prior experience leading systems implementation
- Prior experience designing and implementing operations and
- Ability to implement and utilize metrics and analytics to
monitor and improve systems availability, work unit processes and
- Experience with best practices in implementation, testing and
transition to production of new systems.
- Experience in best practices in operations support of
information technology systems.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of diversity.
- Awareness and commitment to NAU's EEO/Affirmative Action Plan
and Safe Working and Learning Environment goals.
- Experience with the mission and business practices of NAU
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive
position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona
University requires satisfactory results for the following: a
criminal background investigation, employment history
investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and
fingerprinting. If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL,
you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier
Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere
to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in
the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal
E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new
employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year
Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result
of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery
reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed
calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU
uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report
crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the
Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual
Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this
campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire
safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing
and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you
would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the
NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the
department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $126,707. Annual salary commensurate with
candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair
Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or
compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an
excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and
vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement
System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and
10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and
qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is
available on the Human
Resources benefits website
. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free
campus. Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis,
renewable each 6 months according to terms of the
Conditions of Professional Service
. Employees offered a
position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's
BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible
on the first day of the pay period following their
enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31
days from their start date to enroll in benefits. If a new employee
chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona
State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that
accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following
6 months after the new employee's start date. New employees who
choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which
is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed
staff, will begin to participate on the first day of the pay period
following election. Additionally, the long-term disability plan
that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of the pay
period following election.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity
for professional development. New
employee on-boarding training
includes courses to be completed
within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship
for this position.
September 25, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on
this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the
"Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you
need assistance completing your application there are instructions
available on the Human Resources website
or in person in the
Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus
- on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable
accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact
the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, DR@nau.edu
, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities,
veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Know Your Rights Poster
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps,
and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=607451&PostingSeq=1