Financial Aid Counselor
Under general supervision, advises and counsels students and
parents regarding the financial aid process and provides
information on available programs, procedures and eligibility in a
professional and timely manner. Evaluates students’ financial aid
requests and makes award adjustments and recalculations to
financial aid packages. Monitors students’ academic progress and
contributes to Financial Aid Committee decisions regarding appeals
and special circumstances by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
include the following.
Other duties may be assigned.
1. Provides advice and counsel about available financial aid
opportunities, eligibility requirements and the application process
to students and parents; analyzes and evaluates financial aid
eligibility for students.
2. Performs data verification of student/parent information in
accordance with federal and institutional policies.
3. Compares data on students’ applications, such as proposed
budget, family income, and transcript of grades, with eligibility
requirements of assistance program.
4. Determines amount of aid, considering such factors as funds
available, extent of demand, and needs of students.
5. Authorizes release of funds to students and prepares required
records and reports.
6. Conducts student orientations, entrance and exit counseling
sessions, and financial aid information sessions in accordance with
federal and institutional policies.
7. Responds to inquiries by researching and resolving issues
related to transactions handled by the department; serves as
liaison with other university departments in the resolution of
day-to-day administrative or operational issues.
8. Coordinates one or more specific administrative programs, as
9. Participates in the development and implementation of
departmental procedures, as appropriate.
10. Exercises professional judgment in determining necessary
adjustments and making the appropriate adjustments to students’
financial aid package.
11. Monitors students’ satisfactory academic progress in accordance
with federal and institutional policies.
12. Participates in committee decisions regarding SAP termination
appeals and Special Circumstance Petitions.
13. Participates in outreach projects, financial aid seminars,
student orientations and workshops held on campus and at off-site
14. Advises and counsels students at off-site locations as
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Other Knowledge Skills and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
§ Skill in the use of personal computers and related software
§ Thorough knowledge of: Business English and arithmetic; general
office methods, procedures and practices.
§ Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of
§ Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare
§ Strong organizational skills and detail oriented.
§ Excellent telephone courtesy, knowledge and experience.
§ Ability to relate positively and effectively with a diverse
faculty, staff and student body.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university; or one to
two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent
combination of education and experience.
Remove from Web
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
State and Federal law permit California Baptist University to
discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its
purpose. The University does not discriminate contrary to either
State or Federal law.
Quick Link to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Required Documents Optional Documents
- * Are you a Christian?
- * Do you attend church regularly?
- If no, please explain (required):
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you both familiar with and not in conflict with the
fundamental doctrines and practices of the California Southern
Baptist Convention as stated in the Baptist Faith and Message dated
June 14, 2000? (Please see above link for more information)
- Yes (I am familiar and not in conflict)
- No (I am in conflict or not familiar)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Reference 1
- Letter of Reference 2
- Other Document
- Other Document 2