Department Chair Secretary
St. John's established in 1870, has three New York City campuses;
international locations in Rome, Italy; Limerick, Ireland; and
Paris, France; and study abroad locations around the world. The
Princeton Review and other top rankings consistently recognize the
University's outstanding academics, diverse student body, dynamic
internship and volunteer opportunities, focus on student life, and
diverse study abroad offerings. St. John's University offers more
than 100 undergraduate and graduate programs in its six colleges
and schools, with a growing number of programs offered online. The
University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher
Education and 12 other major academic and professional
A dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion is at the heart of
our mission. As a Catholic and Vincentian university, St. John's is
committed to institutionalizing practices of inclusive excellence
to ensure that we welcome and celebrate the intrinsic worth of all
members of our community. We will become an even stronger
university as we enhance equity at every level of our institution.
Our graduates will excel in the competencies and values required
for leadership and service in a rapidly evolving world.
Department Chair Secretary - Department of Pharmacy Administration
and Public Health
College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Greet all visitors in a professional and timely manner. Answer
and direct callers to the appropriate resource
- Provide support for the Department Chairperson with Department
and College projects.
- Manage and coordinate the Chairperson's calendar, including
reminding the Chairperson of the status of upcoming deadlines and
scheduling appointments with faculty, staff, administrators, and
- Review, maintain, and monitor the Department's records such as
meeting minutes, updated syllabi, and faculty course outlines.
- Assist the Chairperson with Personnel Action Forms (PAF) and
Annual Faculty Activity Report (AFAR), including scheduling faculty
classroom evaluations for the Chairperson for PAF purposes.
- Provide support to and as work with department faculty and
- Process all budget-related transactions (i.e., purchase orders,
supplies, check requestions, and T&E expenses).
- Maintain an adequate supply of office supplies to support the
office and departmental teaching needs.
- Effectively manage workflow for programs within the department
(and College as needed)
- Coordinate the reporting of maintenance issues to Facilities
Dept. for repairs, etc.
Requirements, skills, experience
- Reserve University space for Department meetings and special
- Post schedules, notices, or relevant information for department
- Provide additional administrative support to any department
member and College as needed.
- Assist with scheduling faculty interviews during hiring and
- Make travel arrangements and process reimbursements for event
speakers and interviewees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Minimum of three years of administrative assistant office
experience. Experience in higher education is preferred.
- Possess excellent computer skills with working knowledge of
Microsoft Office applications and proficient use of general office
- Ability to learn and use university technology systems and
other recent technology as needed.
- Safely operate office equipment (Computer, copier, fax,
printer, scanner, and phone).
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written
- Good time management, prioritization of multiple tasks,
organizational skills, and confidentiality are required.
- Attend professional development activities when required.
- Flexible and adaptable in various situations.
In compliance with NYC's Pay Transparency Act, the annual salary
for this position is $50,000. St. John's University considers
factors such as (but not limited to) scope and responsibilities of
the position, candidate's work experience, education/training, key
skills, internal peer equity, as well as market and organizational
considerations when extending an offer.
This position may be relocated to any of St. John's University's
physical locations at any time.
St. John's offers a competitive compensation program which is
commensurate with your qualifications, experience, and contingent
upon the departmental budget. We also offer an extremely
comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our
workforce. Along with exceptional benefits such as medical, dental,
life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition remission,
generous 403(b) employer contribution, employee assistance program,
and liberal paid time off policies, faculty and staff can also
enjoy St. John's performing arts, libraries, bookstores, dining
facilities, campus recreation and sporting events
Any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. John's
University of satisfactory references, verification of employment
St. John's University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and
encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability,
protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by
To apply, visit https://jobs.silkroad.com/StJohnsEdu/Careers/jobs/219341