Assistant Professor, Physician Assistant
Fort Wayne, Indiana
The position of PA Faculty requires an individual who can provide excellence in teaching, with interest in both their students and their subject matter. Faculty must be committed to the centrality of a Trine University education and possess the ability to support the program in achieving excellence through teaching, scholarship, outreach, and engagement. Under the direction of the MPAS Program Director, program faculty will be responsible for creating and implementing program curriculum and will participate in the ongoing ARC-PA accreditation process. PA Faculty will provide service to the university, community and the PA profession, while fully supporting Trine's mission of preparing students to succeed, lead, and serve.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing, reviewing and revising as necessary:
- the mission statement, goals and competencies of the program
- the program curriculum and course content
- course goals, learning outcomes, and instructional objectives
- Selecting applicants for admission to the PA program
- Providing student instruction to provide students with the necessary attention and instruction to acquire the knowledge, skills, and competencies required for entry into the profession
- Evaluating student performance
- assess and supervise the student's progress in achieving competencies and in fulfilling course goals, learning outcomes, and instructional objectives
- Academic counseling of students
- providing both academic and professionalism mentoring
- Student Success Committee activities
- assuring the availability of remedial instruction,
- Assisting with continuous programmatic review and analysis to assess data to improve instructional and program quality
- Implement the program’s strategic plan
- Adherence to University goals, standards and policies as well as ARC-PA Standards and ARC-PA policies
- Principal Faculty must:
- Teach at least 18 credit hours annually per 12-month contract
- post and maintain office hours (10 hours per week)
- not participate as health care providers for students in the program, except in an emergency situation
- attend faculty meetings and participate in faculty committees including program strategic plan and accreditation
- Principal Faculty will:
- promote PA program and PA profession to potential students and community
- contribute to the Trine University's greater community with scholarship and service leading to professional growth and development, which may include publications, presentations, participation in conferences and seminars
- perform additional duties and assignments as prescribed by the Program Director, Dean and/or the Vice President for the College of Health Professions.
Education and/or Experience
- Must be qualified through academic preparation and/or experience to teach assigned subjects
- A physician assistant with a master’s degree, doctoral-level preferred, a current NCCPA certification and eligibility for licensure in Indiana
- A bachelor’s degree will be considered if it is accompanied by an approved plan to complete a Master’s degree within 4 years
- a Certified Nurse Practitioner with experience in graduate level teaching and a minimum of two years clinical experience.
- a physician with current eligibility or unrestricted license as an allopathic or osteopathic physician in Indiana, certified by an ABMS or AOA approved specialty board
- a PhD basic scientist or hold other academic/doctoral qualifications and relevant academic/clinical experience and fit into the mix of the other professionals of the developing program.
- In addition:
- must possess knowledge of the PA profession and be able to effectively advocate for the PA program and profession
- must have a minimum of two years of clinical experience
- should have a minimum of two years higher education experience
- Must maintain licensure in state of Indiana
The salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Trine University offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit your needs and the needs of your family. Benefits offered include:
- Health – medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs, flex spending or HSA accounts
- Retirement – after one year of full-time service you are eligible for employer contribution of 5% and up to an additional 5% employer match
- Life Insurance – a variety of voluntary life options are available along with employee life insurance (1½ times annual salary)
- Education – after 6 months of full-time service education benefits are available for employee, spouse, and dependent children
- Vacation and Sick Pay – in accordance with Trine's policy
Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Projected starting date can be immediate. Trine University reserves the right to verify academic (transcripts) and professional credentials prior to extending offers of employment. Please include a cover letter, resume/CV, and references when applying.