The National Institute of Education (NIE) is among the world’s top education institutes, recognised for its excellence in teacher education and educational research. NIE has played a key and pivotal role in shaping and developing Singapore’s teaching profession and landscape through evidence-informed, practice-focused and values-based programmes and initiatives.
An autonomous institute situated within the research-intensive Nanyang Technological University, NIE is consistently ranked within the top 15 in the world for research impact in the field of Education.
The Learning Sciences & Assessment Academic Group (LSA) is an interdisciplinary academic group that focuses on understanding learning and assessment from multiple perspectives with the ultimate goal of enhancing and ensuring educative outcomes for all learners. Our mission is to enable educational practitioners to become designers of learning experiences and environments and active contributors in a reflective community of practice. The academic group is concerned with the relationship between theory and practice and adopts a variety of methodologies, including but not limited to experimental studies, reflection-in-action, action research, design experiments and ethnography for the advancement of its research and teaching. We grapple with the tensions and the nexus between learning, assessment and instructional design, by mediating the design process as both a science and an art. Currently, we offer courses for initial teacher education, as well as graduate programmes such as the Master of Arts (Instructional Design and Technologies), Master of Education (Learning Sciences and Technologies), Master of Arts in Professional Education (Training and Development), Master of Teaching, Master of Science ( Science of Learning), Doctor of Education (Technologies and Technology-Mediated Learning Environments) and Doctor of Philosophy (Education).
The LSA AG invites applications with an earned doctorate and research portfolio in technology-enhanced learning, to apply for a tenure-track Assistant/Associate Professor position. Applicants who are specialized in Virtual Reality (VR)/Augmented Reality (AR), and Immersive Learning Environment (ILE) will have an advantage. This is an excellent opportunity for outstanding scholars to engage in a dynamic department to advance our education and research goals.
The candidate would play an active role in some or all of these programmes. Applicants who are prepared to support and work with colleagues on learning and assessment issues in common or new expertise areas are valued. Working across disciplinary interests is encouraged.
Successful candidates must have:
For Assistant Professor:
- A PhD or equivalent qualifications or will be acquiring the qualifications at the time of application in the area of technology-enhanced learning, or in/with Learning Sciences.
- Applicants who are specialized in Virtual Reality (VR)/Augmented Reality (AR), and Immersive Learning Environment (ILE) are preferable. Applicants whose research expertise extends to the use of multimodal technologies, such as brain imaging and physiological sensors in immersive learning environments will have an advantage. Indicators of ability to secure and manage competitive grants
- An emerging record of associated scientific research, presentations and publications in the area of technology-enhanced learning, or learning sciences.
- Evidence of excellence in teaching, and understanding of school practice A developing international network of scholarly collaborators Excellent communication (verbal and written English)
- Willingness to understand and support the work of colleagues beyond one’s niche expertise
Additional requirement for Associate Professor:
A doctorate in a field relevant to technology-enahcned learning, or in/with Learning Sciences
Excellent track record of work as an Assistant/Associate Professor in reputable universities.
Excellent knowledge and skills in technology enhanced leaning, especially in Virtual Reality (VR)/Augmented Reality (AR), and Immersive Learning Environment (ILE)
An excellent record in securing and managing competitive grants
A proven track record of publications in reputable peer-reviewed international journals in the areas of technology-enhanced learning, or learning sciences.
Good international network of scholarly collaborators
Workplace experience in educational settings inclusive of schools is preferred
Successful candidates will be expected:
- To succeed in competitive research grants, and publish research in reputable journals or other outlets as is customary in his/her field
- To teach existing and new courses at the undergraduate, postgraduate and diploma (including in-service) levels
- To work with a team of faculty to develop and teach courses, and pioneer changes in practices in schools
- To supervise graduate students, carry out supervision of teaching practicum
- To publish research in reputable journals or other outlets as is customary in his/her field
- To establish professional connections with local and international researchers and practitioners in the specific expertise area
- To share expertise with NIE colleagues through various platforms
- To contribute to services at the departmental, institutional, university, national and international levels
Please submit your application together with the following documents to us through : https://ntu.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/Careers/job/NTU-Main-Campus-Singapore/Assistant-Associate-Prof-in-Tech-Enhanced-Learning--LSA---NIE-_R00014604
- A cover letter addressing how you meet the requirements of this position
- A research statement
- A teaching statement
- Course outline or teaching plan of courses you may be interested in teaching
- A resume including a publication list, names of three referees and your desired starting date of employment
- Your best publications
- Any other documents beyond those listed here or requested on the application form that demonstrate your qualifications and credentials
This position will remain open until filled.
More information on LSA can be found at https://www.ntu.edu.sg/nie/about-us/academic-groups/learning-sciences-assessment-education.
For enquiries, interested applicants may write to A/P Chen Wenli, Head/LSA at email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Note to applicants
We regret that only successful candidates will be notified (via email).