founded in 1831, is a diverse,
energetic liberal arts community where critical thinking and
practical idealism go hand in hand.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Academic Affairs, the
Accounting Specialist is responsible for managing the fiscal and
administrative functions related to grant-funded projects and
operating and endowed funds in the departments of Earth &
Environmental Sciences, Molecular Biology & Biochemistry, and
Physics. This position will work closely with Accounting Specialist
V to provide seamless fiscal coverage to the faculty in the
sciences and provides full backup to the department.
Manage/reconcile grants, departmental gifts and endowments, and
faculty research accounts; reconcile pcards, process payroll, A/P
vouchers, travel reimbursements, and other financial
- Monitor fiscal activities of grant-funded projects and conduct
analysis to identify/report on financial status of projects
including compliance, forecasting, and project shortfalls.
- Provide monthly financial reports of spending and balances to
respective department chairs and faculty.
- Oversee Payroll submissions and associated budgets of student
workers, course assistants, graduate stipends, and other student
- Process commitment accounting changes, payroll redistributions,
and summer salary requests.
- Liaison with the Corporate, Foundation, and Government Grants
office and Grants Accounting office on submissions, extensions, end
reporting, and summer salaries.
- Assist faculty with the development of budget preparation, data
compilation, expense forecasting, personnel needs, etc. during the
grant preparation/submission process.
- Track internal and external grant deadline dates, submissions,
- Assist with the completion of internal and external online
forms pertaining to grant applications and reports.
- Provide data and narratives as necessary.
- Provide recommendations and solutions regarding compliance and
- Train new graduate students on lab purchasing.
- Process purchase orders for laboratory equipment.
- Track equipment service contracts for renewal.
- Perform other support duties as assigned such as coordinating
travel, lodging, and conference scheduling that is directly related
to external grant funding.
- Assist with data run of monthly stockroom charges and process
chargebacks as needed.
- Assist with Animal Care facility chargebacks as needed.
- Other related duties as assigned.
This is an on-campus position located in Middletown, CT
This position is in the secretarial/clerical bargaining unit.
The position works 32.25 hours per week for 52 weeks per
Associate’s Degree and four years of related experience.
Related experience and training may be substituted for educational
Advanced knowledge of MS Word, Excel and database management.
Previous accounting and budget tracking experience.
Demonstrated commitment to work within a diverse environment and
interact openly with individuals of different backgrounds.
Previous experience managing state and federal grants.
Previous experience in higher education
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration please apply by August 2, 2023
when first review of applications will begin.
All offers to external applicants are contingent on the
candidate’s completion of apre-employment
background check screening
and computer skills
assessment to the satisfaction of Wesleyan University.
Wesleyan University, located in Middletown, Connecticut, does
not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, age,
gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital
status, ancestry, present or past history of mental disorder,
learning disability or physical disability, political belief,
veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or
non-position-related criminal record. We welcome applications from
women and historically underrepresented minority groups. Inquiries
regarding Title IX, Section 504 or any other non-discrimination
policies should be directed to Vice President for Equity and
Inclusion, Title IX and ADA/504 Coordinator. Wesleyan University
complies with the Clery Act and maintains records of campus crime
statistics and security policies. Copies of Wesleyan University?s
Clery Act Report are available on request and online at