Lead Summer Camp Counselor
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in
Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research,
and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks
among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World
Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide
opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education,
all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to
scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked
nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes
who named Penn one of America's Best Large Employers in 2023.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of
Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban
campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and
recreational activities. With its historical significance and
landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of
atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for
work and play.
COVID-19 vaccination or a University authorized exemption is a
requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania.
For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements, visit the
Penn COVID-19 Response website
for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Lead Summer Camp Counselor
Job Profile Title
Temporary Employee - Non-Exempt
Job Description Summary
The Penn Campus Recreation Adventure Summer Camp is searching for
active, enthusiastic, and a responsible counselor who passionate
about all things sport and adventure to work as Summer Camp
Counselors for 4 weeks in July into early August. Previous
childcare, camp experience, and education major/ experience are
- Responsible for the health and safety of all campers and fellow
- Manage campers between the ages of 6 and 12 in a recreational
camp setting along with other counselors and the camp
- Listen to camper needs and address them appropriately.
- Prevent bullying, teasing, or inappropriate behavior and
- Organize and lead a variety of group activities each week.
- Ensure that the facility and other spaces used are kept clean,
organized, and free of litter.
- Communicate with parents about participant's experiences and
report concerns to camp administration.
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records including
incident reports, camper documentation, and daily attendance.
- Know and understand ALL emergency procedures associated with
the camp program.
- Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with
the camp and all program areas. This includes but is not limited to
being responsible for campers' safety and their whereabouts at all
- Distribute daily snacks and drinks as needed throughout the
day. Responsible for assuring ample water is always available and
returning all drink containers.
Job Location - City, State
- Upon hire, completion of camp required certifications.
- Education classes or experience in camp, youth programs,
recreation, working with children, or in a related field.
- Ability to lead, plan, organize, and implement program
- Attend 1 week of training prior to the start of camp.
- Ability to collaborate effectively as a member of a
- Strong organizational and communication skills
Department / School
Division of Recreation & Intercollegiate Athletics
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis
of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion,
creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age,
disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected
Background check may be required after a conditional job offer is
made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the
requirements of the job.
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Pottruck-Health-and-Fitness-Center/Lead-Summer-Camp-Counselor_JR00070284