Director of Engagement - Office of the President
We are a community committed to preparing students to be educated and enlightened citizens who lead productive and meaningful lives.
To be the national model for the engaged university: engaged with ideas and the world.
Who We Are
Located in the heart of Virginia’s beautiful Shenandoah Valley, the city of Harrisonburg is approximately 120 miles from Washington, D.C. and Richmond, VA. With a population of just over 53,000, Harrisonburg is one of the most diverse communities in the Commonwealth of Virginia. JMU is a selective, public institution with a growing national reputation for offering experiences that lead to an outstanding education and inclusive environment for students, faculty and staff. The student body includes approximately 20,000 undergraduate and 1,900 graduate students, with over 1,000 full-time instructional faculty.
JMU offers thriving programs in the liberal arts, science and technology, and professional disciplines at the undergraduate, master’s and doctoral levels. The university is committed to expanding diversity, fostering equity and inclusion, and supporting superlative teaching and scholarship. JMU has achieved national recognition for the high quality of its academic programs, focus on maintaining strong student/faculty interaction, and innovative faculty research.
The Director of Engagement will report to the Chief of Staff and will provide support for the fulfillment of presidential initiatives, projects, and campus and community engagement. Responsibilities are varied and tasks can change from day-to-day. This position requires someone who has excellent relationship-building capacities across campus and in the community; works well with various constituencies and personalities; can multi-task effectively and efficiently; and has strong writing skills. All applications will be reviewed in strict confidence.
As a key member of the Office of the President, the Director of Engagement will provide leadership and support for presidential priorities. Duties that would fall under this new position include, but are not limited to:
- Chair the university awards committee and provide logistical support for the Cinquegrana Award, an endowed teaching and research award.
- Together with the Chief of Staff, enhance and strengthen the Engagement Advisory Group Leadership Team and Engagement Advisory Group to better advance the university’s mission.
- Serve as a key liaison to various campus and community constituents on strategic university commissions and committees.
- Assist with the on-site coordination of presidential guests in football and basketball suites. Attend games regularly as a representative of the Office of the President.
- Support the research and management of presidential communication, as well as supporting presidential events by providing assistance in the construction of presidential messages, including speech writing, the development of PowerPoint presentations, and support of presidential events.
- Provide executive oversight of the Engagement Fellows Program. Coordinate the professional development and facilitate hiring processes for the Engagement Fellows cohort and serve on the Engagement Fellow Advisory Board.
- Provide support to the Chief of Staff through representation at meetings, committees, and in the community and other duties as assigned.
- Sound management skills and ability to think strategically.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities, allocate resources, and meet deadlines is essential.
- Ability to interact and work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders, including faculty, staff, students, senior administrators, and external partners.
- Experience working with academic programs and faculty.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including comfort with public presentations to a wide range of audiences.
- Ability to handle sensitive and complex situations, identify opportunities, and provide recommendations for improvement and efficiency.
To apply go to https://joblink.jmu.edu/postings/15226 or visit JobLink.jmu.edu and reference posting number F2239. Pay Range: $84,000 - $90,000.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.