ADULT EDUCATOR - ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE (ESL) - PART
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
The Adult Education Department of Malcolm X College, one of the
City Colleges of Chicago, seeks a part-time Adult Educator with a
passion for teaching and learning along with a strong commitment to
the mission and ideals of the community college. This position is
responsible for providing instruction in English as a Second
Language (ESL) to students enrolled in the Adult Education program
by engaging in and modeling intellectual curiosity. The ideal
candidate will have demonstrated success in the classroom
developing and utilizing highly effective teaching strategies that
meet students’ diverse needs and promote the acquisition and
application of knowledge as well as the development of critical and
creative thinking and problem solving skills.
The mission of Malcolm X College is to provide accessible liberal
arts and health-focused education that fosters personal and
professional achievement. To fulfill this mission, we focus on the
following core values: accountability, community, diversity,
empowerment, learning, and respect.
- Provides instruction in English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Develops class syllabi and appropriate class materials and
curriculum for classroom instruction.
- Takes attendance, monitors class enrollment and retention, and
enters information into PeopleSoft or the appropriate student
system in a timely manner.
- Evaluates student progress and extra instruction needs. Refers
student to additional services, as needed.
- Administers progress tests to students and assigns grades based
on test results.
- Prepares reports to senior management regarding test scores,
student participation, and student progress.
- Keeps abreast of state and federal rules and regulations
regarding Adult Education policies.
- Attends regular staff meetings with Adult Education staff and
administration to receive information regarding program policies
- Assists with program registration and orientation.
- Participates in staff development programs, as required.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university in
English, Linguistics, TESOL, or a related field. M.A. in English,
Applied Linguistics, TESOL, or a related field preferred.
- Standard-Proficient Instructor training for ESL preferred.
- International degree(s) evaluated by a certified provider (e.g.
E.C.E., W.E.S., etc.).
- Official transcript(s) reflect sufficient subject-relevant
coursework to teach the assigned course.
- Submit sample lesson plans, syllabi and/or teaching portfolio
that reflect skills in area(s) of instruction, including computer
literacy and adult learning practices.
- Resume reflects knowledge of current adult education classroom
- Completed satisfactory teaching demonstration for the hiring
- 15 graduate hours or more in the discipline that they will be
- Current enrollment in a subject-appropriate master’s degree
program at an accredited university/college.
- Must be available to teach in-person classes.
- Schedules vary.
For the third time in four years, Malcolm X College was selected as
a Promising Places to Work in Community Colleges award winner! The
award is given by the National Institute for Staff and
Organizational Development (NISOD), a membership organization
committed to promoting and celebrating excellence in teaching and
leadership at community and technical colleges, and Diverse: Issues
in Higher Education, a leading academic publication.
MXC was recognized for its best-in-class student and staff
recruitment and retention practices, inclusive learning and working
environments, and meaningful community service and engagement
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of