Holy Cross, as the premier Greek Orthodox School of Theology (Seminary) in the western hemisphere, seeks an established, exceptionally recognized scholar with strong administrative skills to serve as its next academic dean. Building on the recent successes of its current administrative and academic leadership, Holy Cross desires its next dean to provide leadership and vision for the School of Theology and its faculty as well as for the increased recognition of Holy Cross on the international Orthodox theological stage. The next dean will be tasked to raise the academic profile of Holy Cross while remaining committed to the primary goal of the institution, that is, the education and formation of clergy for the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America and other Orthodox jurisdictions.
Requirements: The successful candidate should meet the following requirements/qualifications:
- An internationally/nationally recognized Orthodox theologian and scholar as defined by at least three substantial single-authored monographs, recipient of a competitive fellowship, member of an academic board, among other substantial scholarly contributions.
- Earned PhD or equivalent, preferably in a theological discipline.
- Earned tenure as a full professor with at least three years of academic experience at this rank.
- Academic administrative experience essential at the level of full dean, associate dean, or department chair (leadership as a program director may be considered) with particular experience in reviewing and revising curricula and assessment of student learning.
- Preference given to clergy applicants with diverse and multi-year ministerial experience. Ideally, the successful candidate will have at least five years of experience as a member of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, and, if a clergyman, holds the rank of Protopresbyter for at least three years.
- A minimum of five years of continuous teaching experience at one institution with demonstrable recognition of teaching excellence
- Experience in teaching at a seminary and experience in teaching at another institution (preferably non-Orthodox) than that of the applicant’s home institution are a plus.
- Knowledge of the history, current context, and academic needs of Holy Cross is a plus.
APPLICATION and NOMINATIONS: Application materials must include a cover letter explaining their interest in the position and why they believe they have the qualifications for the position; an addendum (between 2-3 pages) to the cover letter that articulates the candidate’s vision for Holy Cross, with several concrete action items the candidate hopes to implement during their initial tenure as dean; and a current curriculum vitae. Please submit all three components of the application to email@example.com
Nominations are welcome and may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
APPLICATION TIMELINE: Screening of applications begins October 2, 2023, and continues until the position is filled.
Hellenic College Holy Cross is a Christian Orthodox four-year liberal arts college, seminary and graduate school of theology rooted in the Greek Orthodox tradition. For more information about the School visit https://www.hchc.edu/ Hellenic College is an equal opportunity employer.
Hellenic College is an Equal Opportunity Employer
A diverse workforce and an inclusive culture is valued