Job Specification Information
Job Posting Number
Executive Administrative Assistant I
Regular or Contingent II
Desired Start Date
$50,000 - $55,000
Open Until Filled
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares and revises manuscripts, correspondence, charts,
forms, and other material from copy or notes created by others
using typewriter and/or automated office equipment.
- Proofreads materials.
- Composes replies to general inquiries requiring comprehensive
- Reads and edits outgoing correspondence for procedural,
typographical and grammatical accuracy with general policy and
- Corrects and calls deviations or inadequacies to writer’s
attention as deemed appropriate.
- Exercises independent judgement and initiative in establishing
and revising complex and sensitive filing systems.
- Enters, updates, and retrieves information stored in files and
databases; customizes special reports.
- Researches, analyzes and summarizes information and source
materials for reports independently and communicates findings
orally and in writing.
- Receives and reads incoming correspondence and
- Summarizes and prioritizes review of correspondence.
- Screens out items to be handled personally and forwards
remainder with necessary background materials.
- Receives and screens telephone calls and visitors.
- Independently handles procedural and substantive matters and
inquiries which do not require technical knowledge or refers
callers to others as appropriate.
- Schedules appointments and engagements without prior
- Makes arrangements and coordinates all details for
- Assures that executive is fully briefed before meetings on
matters to be considered. May attend meetings and prepare notes.
Makes all necessary arrangements for travel and independently
performs required administrative follow-up and recordkeeping.
- Oversees office operations, ensures equipment, materials, and
space are used efficiently and effectively.
- Assists in monitoring departmental budget.
- Acts as intermediary for executive, interacting with officials,
staff at all levels, and the public.
- Provides information requiring comprehensive knowledge of
institution policies, procedures, and special issues.
- Anticipates executive’s course of action when absent and
facilitates problem resolution.
- Interprets administrative decisions and policies to other staff
and transmits directions
and instructions based on authority delegated by the
- Ensures confidentiality of information.
- Provides guidance and instruction of office support staff.
- Supports office by using automated equipment such as facsimile
machines, personal and networked computers and printers, copy
equipment, voice messaging and electronic mail systems, and
- Perform other duties as assigned by Dean.
These are the job duties for required of the position
A High School Diploma or GED required. Bachelor degree
A minimum of four (4) years of administrative support.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Conditions of Employment
- Comprehensive knowledge of and skill in the application of
office practices, procedures, and equipment; of business English,
spelling, grammar, and arithmetic; of UMS policies and procedures
and the institution’s purpose, goals, and procedures.
- General knowledge of and skill in the use of Microsoft (Word,
Excel, PowerPoint and Access), database, and spreadsheet software
to produce documents and maintain information.
- Skill in composing a variety of correspondence; in operating
manual and automated office equipment; in managing filing systems;
in gathering and summarizing information; in maintaining
confidentiality and handling sensitive matters with discretion and
tact; in interacting with students, public officials and staff at
all levels in a courteous and efficient manner; in planning,
organizing, prioritizing and executing complicated and continuing
assignments without instruction.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
to understand and follow oral and written instructions; to project
a professional and positive image of the institution; to make
effective oral presentations; to supervise office operations and
A skills level assessment will be
administered to candidates on Microsoft 2016 Word, Excel, and
Please be advised, COVID -19 vaccinations are not required but
encouraged for faculty and staff to be employed at Bowie State
University. This protocol is subject to change.
This is a union position.
Bowie State University offers an excellent benefits package! This
includes tuition remission including eligible dependents; choice of
medical/vision plans, Carefirst BC/BS, United Health Care and
Kaiser plans, dental, prescription, and life insurance, training
and development, EAP ; and as eligible generous leave package
including sick/bereavement, annual, personal; and winter and spring
Posting Detail Information
Special Instructions to Applicant
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * Do you have a minimum of four years administrative staff work
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Letter of Reference 1
- Letter of Reference 2