The Department of Math and Statistics anticipates appointment of an Assistant Professor in Statistics beginning August 2024; an earlier start date of January 2024 is a possibility. A PhD in Statistics or Biostatistics is preferred; a PhD in a closely related area will be considered.
The Department seeks candidates pursuing research in all areas of statistics, such as, but not limited to, Bayesian statistics, biostatistics, survival analysis, time series, data science, machine learning, statistical computing, statistical genetics, and algebraic statistics. Preference will be given to candidates who have the potential for developing collaborations across the university and with local national laboratories and industries and who have the potential to supervise PhD and masters student research.
The minimum requirement is a PhD in Statistics, Biostatistics, or closely related field by the appointment start date, August 1, 2024 (or January 1, 2024 if earlier start-date is possible).
The preferred requirements are the following:
· Commitment to establish research program in Statistics with emerging international reputation
· Demonstrated or potential publication record in recognized journals
· Commitment to excellence in statistics and probability education at the undergraduate through graduate levels
· Potential for service to the Statistics Program
· Interest in research interactions with Statistics faculty and potential for such interactions around the University and wider research community
· A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities
A complete application consists of an application cover letter, curriculum vitae, a description of research interests, teaching statement, and a diversity statement. Applicants must also email at least three letters of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org or send by surface mail to Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Statistics Search Committee, 1 University of New Mexico, MSC01 1115, Albuquerque, NM, 87131. For best consideration, completed applications should be received by October 1, 2023. Applications without three letters of recommendation will not be considered. The Applicant is required to provide official certification of successful completion of all degree requirements prior to her/his initial employment with UNM.
Applicants who are appointed to a UNM faculty position are required to provide an official certification of successful completion of all degree requirements prior to their initial employment with UNM.