IT PMO Manager - Infrastructure Portfolio
About the Opportunity
The division of Information Technology Services is currently
seeking a talented individual to fill the role of Portfolio
Manager. The Portfolio Manager is the key interface between the
business/operations functions and ITS. A successful Portfolio
Manager emphasizes visibility, maximizes the value of investments
and facilitates decision making discussions. The Portfolio Manager
role is responsible for providing a centralized view of assets and
initiatives related to a specific portfolio(s). The Portfolio
Manager, in conjunction with the business leaders, help drive
project prioritization and decisions around which projects will
deliver maximum value. The portfolio manager will drive on
planning, prioritization, implementation and monitoring elements of
projects within a portfolio. The Portfolio Manager may also
directly manage projects or programs . In addition to the business
liaison and portfolio accountability responsibilities, this
position includes managing projects/programs and resource
management within the projects, stakeholder and sponsor
communications, reporting, and engagement.
To ensure that essential services are provided to the university
community, the employee will be required to work outside their
regular working hours as needed.
Bachelors or Master's degree with project management, finance
background or technical background, or equivalent experience. PMP
Knowledge and Skills
- Eight or more years of experience in IT and
- Strategic, operational and technical project management
- Product management experience
- Vendor management experience, holding vendors accountable
- Record of accomplishment of successfully managed projects
- Leadership and motivational skills to maintain naturally high
moral within the matrix team.
- Previous technical competency in the areas of release
management, agile development, & maintaining backlogs
- Demonstrated Risk management, especially at the portfolio level
- Demonstrated Financial management for a program/portfolio is
required, including budgeting, forecasting and reporting.
- Exceptional leadership skills, with the ability to develop and
communicate the portfolio objectives, inspire and motivate staff,
and maintain alignment with IT & the business strategy.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels across the
organization. Has strength of character to have difficult
conversations with senior stakeholders including customers,
internal team members and senior management; excellent written,
oral and presentation skills. Excellent verbal and written
communication skills, including the ability to explain and "sell"
the portfolio goals and objectives to the business, as well as
- Data Analysis skills and the ability to tell the story from the
- Demonstrated release management and future product road mapping
- Effective use of hard and soft skills including conflict
resolution, team building, decisions making.
- Pragmatic organized and results oriented and with ability to
manage multiple priorities.
- Excellent planning, organization, execution and controlling
- Problem solving skills - ability to analyze and solve complex
issues that do not have routine solutions.
- Regularly pitches new projects or process which will enhance
portfolio/program/project effectiveness and further evolution
- Attention to detail but able to see and communicate the big
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
Portfolio Management (30%)
- Ability and willingness to convey proficiency in project
management to others.
- Possesses a high degree of political sensitivity, astuteness
and the ability to effectively use the informal power structure of
the organization to achieve success and clear obstacles for the
- Highly empathetic and able to vary styles of interaction to
match the needs of a variety of temperaments and
- Strong business acumen, including industry, domain-specific
knowledge of the enterprise and its business units. Familiar with
industry trends and innovation.
- Effective influencing and negotiation experience and skills in
an environment with high competition for resources.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver against financial
and resource constraints.
- Experience with one or more project/program management
methodologies (such as PMI PMBOK, Agile) and across a range of
- Demonstrated ability in project planning tools, such as
Microsoft Project and Project Server, with evidence of practical
- Highly skilled in managing Agile teams, use of JIRA for sprint
and release planning
- Deep understanding of current and emerging technologies, how
other enterprises are employing them to drive digital business, and
how they may be applied to the enterprise to drive digital
- Ability to manage project details as well as strategy.
- Ability to form strong relationships across ITS and Business
- Ability to work in an agile mindset with minimum requirements
and defining them as we go along
- Willingness to work through critical timelines and do what is
needed to keep project progressing forward
- Higher-Ed experience is a plus but not required
- Individuals in this role can operate fairly autonomously
without being heavily supervised.
- Experience in establishing and managing Business Value
- Financial experience with familiarity with budgetary planning
and cost reporting
- Previous industry experience in technology business
- Proven leadership experience including knowledge of approaches,
tools, and techniques for gaining the cooperation and support of
- Demonstrates an ongoing commitment to professional growth in
portfolio management, agile project management.
- Responsible to ensure flawless and smooth execution of the
contracted projects and programs within the portfolio according to
defined timelines and cost, via leading multidisciplinary project
- Establishes and ensures appropriate governance functions for
the portfolio in accordance with enterprise policies, practices and
on behalf of the executive sponsor.
- Creates agenda and solicits topics for monthly Portfolio
steering committee to report out on KPI and demand, project,
incident and request metrics and performance to SLA.
- Acts as main point of contact between business area(s),
interfacing applications, 3rd party vendors, ITS leadership and/or
project and program managers.
- Responsible for SNOW data quality and accuracy within Portfolio
- including demands, projects, incidents, requests etc
- Develops and controls the portfolio budget formulation, and
manages expenditure within agreed spending plans with key focus on
customer centricity and internally on quality, cost ,
profitability, timelines and risk management
- Leads the development and maintenance of stakeholder mapping,
communications and reporting.
- Collaborates with architecture team to assist in the
development of a vision and strategy for the product and content
lifecycle application and integration portfolio.
- Participates in customer meetings to ensure services meet
- Creates a collaborative partnership among IT Leaders and
portfolio stakeholders and enables resource demand planning, change
management and project pipeline planning decisions.
- Drives a culture of transparency and accountability, enabling
information-based decision making in the management of IT
- Directs the creation and maintenance of the required portfolio
documentation and artifacts.
- Ensures and balances the availability of the required skills
and competencies across project teams within the portfolio.
- Monitors and coordinates dependencies across the projects in
the portfolio and resolves conflicts.
- Performs other duties as needed.
New Initiatives and Portfolio Pipeline Health (15%)
- Participates in the development and evolution of the overall
approach for the portfolios, understands the portfolio business
objectives and develops key performance indicators (KPIs) to
measure the Portfolio success.
Project Management (45%)
- Partners closely with technical and business owners to analyze
new project requests and readiness for governance decisions and
provides transparency of portfolio investments.
- Prepares the portfolio for success by creating, presenting and
championing business cases help drive prioritization decisions as
required in the governance process.
- Communicate business value metrics within the business case
story including investment cost and benefits measurement &
- Creates the Portfolio Roadmap and drives delivery to that
- Facilitate joint planning with business partners and ITS in
early stages of project formation.
- Provide consulting services to business partners on new
- Be an advocate for business stakeholder in IT discussions.
Supervisory responsibility (10%)
- Directly manages projects within the portfolio.
- Identify and schedule project deliverables, milestones and
required activities and tasks.
- Provide leadership and motivation to project team members
throughout the project life cycle and confer with project staff to
outline work plan.
- Establish work plan and staffing for project activities,
iterations or phases, and arrange for recruitment or assignment of
- Review and analyze project proposals or plans to determine time
frame, funding limitations, procedures for accomplishing projects,
staffing requirements and allotment of available departmental
resources to various project phases.
- Review/approve work plan of external service provider or
consultancy contracted to execute project.
- Leads regular interactions with the executive sponsor to
inform, alert, negotiate and maintain a continuing good
relationship and shared vision for the project outcome.
- Implement project communication plan.
- Conduct risk assessment and mitigation.
- Monitor project activities, ensuring the currency, quality and
integrity of the information, while providing consistency in
content and "look and feel" across the enterprise.
- Ensure that project goals are accomplished and in line with
- Supervisor of contractor or FTE program or project
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work
experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit
eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid
time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as
well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/
for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking
to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and
staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its
forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect
that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability
status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and
support of diversity and inclusion, please see
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Boston-MA-Main-Campus/IT-PMO-Manager---Infrastructure-Portfolio_R117390