Assistant Dean of Students, Residence Life & Student
Chatham University is accepting applications for the position of
Assistant Dean of Students, Residence Life & Student
Reporting to the Dean of Students, the Assistant Dean of Students
positions is a full time, 12-month, live on position responsible
for providing leadership in administrating and managing all aspects
of the residence life operation as well as upholding the University
honor code and addressing student behavior and conduct. The
Assistant Dean facilitates a living learning environment that
centers equity and promotes personal and leadership development, as
well as individual and community responsibility. This position
supervises two professional live-in residence life staff. This
position also serves on the leadership team for student affairs,
executes project to better the division, and serves on the on-call
response team rotation.
Chatham University strives to promote a campus environment that
understands and embraces multiculturalism while increasing
individuals' intercultural competence. We actively work to build
and sustain a diverse and culturally vibrant campus, which promotes
employee and student success and retention. Learn more at:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate as a committed team member of the Student Affairs
staff in college and division committee work, projects and overall
- Provide vision and leadership for the design and implementation
of residence life/residential programming, facilities management,
capital improvements, budget administration, and technology
- Oversee the Student Honor Code Policy on Behavior and
Prohibited Conduct, including training of Judicial Board,
evaluation of policy, maintain records, and processing cases.
- Oversee the following residence life duties:
- Development and maintenance of an annual housing occupancy and
- Marketing and design of promotional materials and online
resources for residence life and student housing.
- Overall development and management of housing programs,
activities and services for students residing in residence halls
and apartments that promote student development and positive
communal living among students.
- Develop and manage the residence life budget and business
- Serve as StarRez housing system administrator and oversee
system maintenance and usage.
- Work collaboratively with faculty and staff to support living
learning communities in residence halls.
- Work collaboratively with faculty and staff to provide services
that enhances students' appreciation of the environment and
- Provide information on independent housing availability and
- Oversee the housing assignment processes and coordinate Fall
- Oversee residence life professional and student staff
recruitment, selection, and training.
- Serve as Co-Chair of the Housing, Dining, and Medical
- Supervise, 3 professional staff and indirectly oversee graduate
and student staff.
- Serve as a member of the Student Affairs Leadership Team and
assist with the management of student issues, crisis intervention
and crisis planning and management.
- Instruct 1 section of SDE 101 (Strategies for Student Success
in College) in the fall semester.
- Mentor and supervise a Success Coach GA and maintain knowledge
of university resources to help students navigate barriers.
How to Apply:
- Master's degree in higher education administration or related
field with minimum of 5 years of professional work experience in
residential life and student activities.
- Comprehensive understanding and appreciation and support of
student life at a small, private institution plus a commitment to
improving the lives of students.
- Substantial experience working successfully with departments
within student affairs and the campus at large to provide
activities, programs and services for residential and commuter
undergraduate and graduate students.
- Acquired knowledge, experiences and involvement in student
development initiatives, judicial affairs, counseling students,
conversing with parents. The assistant dean has sound judgment and
a keen ability to resolve student issues and crisis effectively and
must be able to exercise tact and diplomacy to handle sensitive
and/or confidential matters.
- Ability to embrace and support a culture of collegiality,
equity, and inclusion. The assistant dean has a demonstrated
understanding of and strong commitment to customer service and a
- Ability to work in coordination with all Student Affairs
departments and other campus constituents to deliver collaborative
initiatives, programmatic support, plus offer advice and guidance
that enhance students' performances, personal, leadership and
- Work with other students, faculty and staff to support
teamwork, set high standards, support the academic, personal and
leadership development of its students.
- Ability to multitask and meet established deadlines.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, oral, written, and
on-line communication skills.
- Demonstrated initiative and flexibility.
Applications accepted only via www.chatham.edu/careers
(direct link is https://chatham.applicantpro.com/jobs/3007738
) and follow the instructions to complete the application process.
To ensure full consideration, please include:
All application materials should be uploaded at the same
time at the time of application. The system will
not allow applicants to make edits to their applications after
Chatham University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a
strong commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity. Persons of
color, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members
of other underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply.
Chatham University does not discriminate on the basis of race,
color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual
orientation, age, or national origin.
- Cover Letter outlining your qualifications for the
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Contact information for three professional references