At Unity Environmental University we are on a mission tomake
environmental education accessible and affordable to all. Our
unique model combines a functional hierarchy and project-based
structure through our four Sustainable Education Business Units
(SEBUs) to promote collaboration and innovation (Distance
Education, Sustainable Ventures, Hybrid Learning and the Technical
Institute for Environmental Professions). We prioritize our
students' needs above all else, offering a variety of modalities,
including hybrid, in-person, hyflex, and online. Our innovative and
inclusive culture prepares students to tackle real-world challenges
and cultivate the next generation of environmental professionals
and leaders who can make a positive impact on our world.
We are dedicated to delivering quality education and experiences
that produce outstanding environmentally competent professionals
and inspire individuals from all walks of life to steward
The Executive Assistant to the President
is responsible for
the overall operation of the Presidents Office and support of the
President and the President of the in their official
responsibilities of the office. This may include analysis,
research, preparation, and editing of a variety of reports and
presentations. The Executive Assistant primarily provides
professional administrative support, manages all of the Presidents
office operations, supports in Board efforts as needed, maintains
the Presidents communications and calendar, logistics, budget
tracking, developing and proofing reports and taking meeting
minutes. The Executive Assistant to the President also greets
visitors, answers phones, files, performs computer work,
photocopies and provides other office support.
Day to day responsibilities:
Do you have the skills?
- Creates and maintains interrelated administrative, confidential
and legal filing systems and records, including, but not limited
to, historical and legal records of the Institution, the Presidents
correspondence, personnel records, and records of employee,
student, and vendor correspondence.
- Answers inquiries independently where there is established
policy or precedent.
- Maintains department budget; prepares correspondence for the
president by composing letters and/or memos; sets up travel
arrangements; reconciles expense reports as needed.
- Coordinates Board of Trustee Candidate visits and supports with
Board relations as needed.
- Coordinates luncheons, receptions, and campus wide events and
meetings for the President as needed.
- Assists the Secretary to the Board in preparation of Board
Meetings, both committee level and Quarterly meetings.
- Maintains discretion and confidentiality in relationships with
all board members.
- Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion with private
and/or sensitive information.
- Receives, compiles and maintains confidential documents and
records on behalf of the Office of the President.
- Understand, explain and enthusiastically support the
Institutions environmental mission when engaging internal and
- Assists with and oversees the budget activities of the office;
monitors expenditures of funds, initiates fund transfers and other
procedures necessary to maintain sound day-to-day budget
- Maintains a database of key individuals as directed by the
President for his use.
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously,
proactively, and follows through on projects to their successful
- Coordinates with the Vice Presidents and Chief Officers to
ensure calendar, and other functional collaborations are
- Performs a wide range of advanced clerical duties related to
the operation of the office; serves as liaison between the
President and the Presidents direct reports and other offices at
the Institution; serves in a liaison and/or resource capacity on
projects and assignments.
- Screens incoming calls and visitors, referring them to the
President or the appropriate staff, providing information as
appropriate, or taking accurate and complete messages. Provides
liaison functions between the President and staff at all levels,
Trustees, and members of the public who contact the office.
- Reviews and routes requests for information or complaints to
the appropriate area of the Institution.
- Schedules meetings and conferences, sets up appointments, and
may represent the President at meetings to obtain information
relevant to the Presidents responsibilities.
- Opens and routes mail to the President, and other staff; drafts
responses as needed.
- Serve as a resource to other offices for information, policy
and practice orientation, and general file materials.
- Take minutes at meetings called by the President.
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in a business field and four years of
experience in performing professional level work in the field.
Acceptable is an equivalent combination of education and qualifying
professional experience that would provide the skills, knowledge,
and ability needed to fulfill the duties assigned to the
- Previous experience in an administrative support function for
an executive team
- Knowledge of modern executive office management, practices
procedures and equipment. Basic arithmetical proficiency. Basic
research methods and techniques.
- Must exhibit enthusiastic support or passion for the
environmental mission of the Institution.
- Ability to embody both internal and external marketing and
communications and conduct self professionally.
- Must be ready and able to learn and communicate the background
and substance of the Institution mission, including the definition
sustainability science and basic aspects of climate change as it
relates to mitigation, adaptation, and resilience.
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate and complete records
- Ability to interpret and apply a variety of rules, regulations,
statutes, policies and procedures relating to Institution
- Ability to maintain the highest confidentiality of information
- Team player with the ability to establish and maintain
cooperative working relationships with coworkers, staff, faculty
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion analyzing and
resolving confidential, difficult and sensitive situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in
- Knowledge of and proficiency in the utilization of standard
office productivity software programs (e.g., MS Word, Excel,
Access, PowerPoint, email), personal computers, and the
- Understanding of, and sensitivity to and respect for the
diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic
backgrounds of Unity Environmental University students, faculty,
staff and community.
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous, and well poised.
Are you contemplating the job but uncertain if you should
apply? We encourage you to reach out to us regardless. At our
company, we acknowledge that not everyone begins their professional
journey with equal advantages, opportunities, or privileges.
Therefore, we value your unique skills and experiences. Take a
chance and submit your application; you may be precisely the
individual we're searching for!
Location: Pineland Farms, New Gloucester, Maine
- Experience providing administrative support to C-suite or other
senior executives (or comparable experience);
- Experience with technology and software systems, including file
sharing systems, such as Dropbox, google docs, and Microsoft Office
SharePoint is highly desirable
Just a half hour from Portland, Unity Environmental University
Headquarters, Unity Environmental University Distance Education,
The Technical School for Environmental Professions, and the School
of Environmental Business & Sustainable Ventures are based at
the Pineland Farms campus. The facilities are within easy access to
one of the fastest-growing cities for startups in the
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and
can include days, evenings, weekends. Working extended hours may be
required as needed and Unity Environmental Universityemployees must
be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling their responsibilities
while meeting the Colleges needs.
Although at Unity Environmental University Enterprise employees are
generally scheduled to work at their base location, there are times
when travel is necessary and employees are required from time to
time to attend events, meetings or work temporary assignment at any
Unity Environmental University location.
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required
to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to
stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up
to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for
repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping, and turning, and
fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the
telephone for internal and external communications.
Unity Environmental University offers a comprehensive and
competitive compensation and benefits package for its faculty and
staff. Benefits for eligible employees include:
- Paid holidays off
- 4 weeks of PTO
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance
- Retirement Plan with up to 8% match
- Relocation Assistance