The Deputy Chief Information Officer at UIT is a senior leadership position responsible for supporting the daily operations of UIT and contributing to the strategic direction, planning, and management of UND Information Technology (IT) initiatives. The Deputy CIO will work closely with the UND CIO to develop and implement technology strategies that align with the institution's goals and objectives while fostering innovation and promoting a culture of technological excellence. This role requires a deep understanding of higher education operations, strong technical expertise, and exceptional leadership and communication skills.
The Deputy CIO will oversee the operational units of customer support, infrastructure and operations, and applications and integrations.
Duties & Responsibilities
Leadership and Management
- Serves on behalf of the CIO as the principal IT Officer in the CIO's absence or as requested.
- Provide strategic guidance and mentorship to IT staff, fostering a collaborative and innovative work environment.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the IT department, ensuring the delivery of reliable and efficient IT services.
- Collaborate with other senior leaders and stakeholders to understand their technology needs and develop solutions that enhance operational effectiveness.
- Evaluate, approve, and oversee the implementation of highly complex technical approaches and solutions involving cloud applications, programming, integrations, infrastructure, security, and other elements of IT solutions.
- Provides leadership for planning, developing, and implementing information technology initiatives.
- Contribute to the development of the Change Management Process and ensure the process is followed.
- Build confidence in IT by creating a track record of accomplishment.
- Directs programs to monitor, evaluate and improve customer service delivery.
- Participate in the hiring, training, development, evaluation, and appropriate disciplinary processes of direct and indirect reports.
- Develop and oversee budgets for assigned projects and any assigned operational areas.
- Select, train, supervise, and conduct regular evaluations of all assigned personnel; ensure ongoing training for personnel to maintain up-to-date technical expertise.
- Ensure adequate staffing and resources to provide high-quality services.
- Be available evenings, nights, and weekends to respond to calls regarding questions or problems with the University’s computing resources.
- Establish KPIs for all operational units to ensure the quality of services is met.
Strategy and Planning
- Collaborate with the CIO to develop and execute UND’s IT strategic plan, aligning technology initiatives with academic and administrative goals.
- Research, propose, and lead implementation of transformative new educationally focused technologies that support UND’s strategic vision.
- Provide leadership to high-value cross-functional strategic initiatives.
- Assist in developing and implementing policies, standards, and procedures to ensure effective and secure use of IT resources.
- Stay abreast of emerging technologies and industry trends to provide recommendations on their potential impact and relevance to the institution.
IT Governance and Compliance
- Lead the development and implementation of best practices and standards in process, design, architecture, and operations of all aspects of service-oriented information technology delivery.
- Support the CIO and Director PMO in establishing IT governance frameworks, including project prioritization, resource allocation, and performance measurement.
- Ensure compliance with relevant laws, regulations, and policies related to data security, privacy, and intellectual property.
- Contribute to developing and implementing disaster recovery and business continuity plans.
- Ensures appropriate information security measures and components are in place to protect campus computing resources from intrusion attacks.
Collaboration and Stakeholder Engagement
- Foster effective partnerships with academic, administrative, and research units to understand their technology requirements and provide innovative solutions.
- Collaborate with external vendors, consultants, and industry partners to evaluate and procure IT solutions that align with institutional needs.
- Participate in RFP committees and ensure appropriate solutions are procured to align with UND’s technology stack.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
• Strong supervisory, project management, administrative, budget management, and technical skills are required.
• The ability to maintain confidentiality with information processed, stored, transmitted, or accessed by the systems is required.
• Strong knowledge of emerging technologies, trends, and best practices in higher education IT.
• Proven ability to lead and motivate diverse teams, fostering a collaborative work environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and proficiency in writing technical specification documents.
• Sound understanding of information security and data privacy principles.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Business, Management Information Systems, or a related field.
- 6 years of progressively responsible experience in leading and managing an IT team or organization, including hiring, performance management, staff development, and performance reviews.
- Experience in strategic planning, technology implementation, and IT governance.
- Experience in developing KPIs for operational excellence.
- Successful completion of a Standard Criminal History Background Check
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the US and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Business, Management Information Systems, or other related field.
- 6 years of experience in one or more technology areas: System Administration, Network Administration, Help Desk, Cloud Solutions and Application Integration, and/or Programming/Web Development.
- Experience with enterprise architecture and cloud infrastructure.
- Experience in a higher education environment.
This position is open until filled with an initial review of candidates on August 23, 2023.