Transfer Advising Coordinator
The University Advising office at James Madison University is accepting applications for a Transfer Advising Coordinator. The Transfer Advising and Student Success team at JMU provides crucial support to students before, during and after their transfer to JMU. We work with students coming from two-year and four-year schools, in-state or out-of-state, hoping to transfer to JMU or already here. Much of our work focuses on providing one-on-one academic advising to prospective Virginia community college students who want to understand the pathway to JMU, take courses that will satisfy requirements in their intended major, and prepare to be successful after transfer. We also develop resources about processes and policies related to transfer, and we present at or organize events in support of transfer student success.
This position will serve as the primary advising contact for prospective students from community colleges in Virginia not already served by our Shenandoah Valley and Northern Virginia transfer advising coordinators, as well as from other four-year schools or from out-of-state. The position will have an office at JMU but will include some travel for regular office hours at Blue Ridge Community College and for several short trips per year to various partner locations around Virginia, including the Virginia Beach, Richmond, and Roanoke areas.
The Transfer Advising Coordinator position is a full-time, 12-month, Administrative & Professional (A&P) Faculty position reporting to the Associate Director of Transfer Student Success in University Advising, a unit that falls within the leadership of the Vice Provost of Student Academic Success and Enrollment Management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise students on requirements for guaranteed admission, tools that they can use to evaluate transfer equivalence, and coursework that can be taken prior to transfer to satisfy requirements in general education and their intended major at JMU.
- Develop and maintain a deep working knowledge of academic programs, degree requirements, and academic advising tools for JMU, Transfer Virginia, and Virginia’s Community Colleges, in order to provide students with accurate academic advice.
- Increase the visibility of the transfer advising program and transfer pathways to JMU. Promote the Guaranteed Admission Agreement and sign JMU Letters of Intent with students. Work closely with the JMU Office of Admission to communicate about prospective students and collaborate on visitation and on-site admission days for prospective students.
- Foster strong collaborative relationships with transfer advisors, faculty, and administration at the Virginia Community Colleges, responding to questions about policies, procedures and requirements and promoting collaboration with JMU’s academic departments as appropriate.
- Assist with developing, writing, and posting informational materials for the transfer advising website, social media, Transfer Virginia portal, new transfer student enrollment modules, etc.
- Serve on the Transfer Advising and Student Success planning team, including assisting with the development of new transfer student success initiatives. Assist with transfer student success presentations and events for Transfer Student Success, University Advising, Admissions, Orientation, etc. Contribute to the overall work of the University Advising Hub.
- Develop and implement events for current JMU transfer students to promote sense of belonging and student success.
- Maintain good program data and submit regular reports to the associate director.
- Master’s degree.
- Experience related to the duties described, such as advising, teaching, or counseling.
- Ability to articulate the importance of transfer and transfer student success.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, access, and inclusion, including fluency working with diverse student populations.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills, including listening, conversing, writing, and presenting information.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team that shares responsibility for supporting transfer student success.
- Degree in counseling, higher education leadership, teaching, or a related field.
- Experience in higher education, ideally to include familiarity with both the university and community college setting and/or with transfer pathways.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to student development and the needs of transfer students.
- Ability to learn, interpret and explain complex academic requirements, policies, and procedures across multiple academic units and institutions.
- Tolerance for ambiguity, enthusiasm for innovation, and capacity to manage multiple projects and support the implementation of change.
- Familiarity with information technology and its applications to academic advising.
- Ability to establish collaborative partnerships.
- Experience with planning events for students.
To learn more and to apply, go to joblink.jmu.edu and reference posting F2237 or go to https://joblink.jmu.edu/postings/15066. Review of applications begins 9/4/2023. Salary is commensurate with experience.
James Madison University is committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with our mission. The university is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.