Assistant Director of Digital Marketing and Media
Located in the historic community of Walla Walla
vibrant and beautiful tree-lined campus is home to an
intellectually diverse, dynamic, welcoming and supportive community
of some 500 staff and faculty serving approximately 1,500 students
from the local region and across the globe. With exceptional
students, accomplished faculty and staff, and a fiercely loyal and
growing number of engaged alumni, Whitman College continues to
build on its national reputation for academic excellence as one of
the top liberal arts colleges in the country.
is cultivating a community built on inclusion and
belonging. We recognize the value of those who can offer
historically underrepresented perspectives and encourage
applications from those whose background, knowledge, and insights
from lived experience can add to the college's working and learning
environment. Whitman College is an Equal Employment Opportunity
employer (EEO) .
The Assistant Director of Digital Marketing and Media will be
responsible for developing, implementing and managing a digital
advertising strategy aimed at recruiting prospective students and
will be responsible for monitoring analytics and outcomes. The
Assistant Director will also play a key role in developing a media
marketing strategy, enhancing the reputation of Whitman College
through media outreach, media placements, media mentions and media
This role, reporting directly to the VP for Communications, will
consist of approximately 70% tasks related to digital marketing and
30% tasks related to media relations.
- Develop, manage and execute advertising campaigns including
display, paid search and social media advertising and other channel
- Maintain, monitor, analyze and report on data analytics across
digital marketing channels for recruitment, measuring effectiveness
and using data to make decisions to optimize campaigns to increase
- Manage marketing and promotions budget.
- Work with the web team to create landing pages that are
consistent with college branding and messaging and are relevant to
targeted advertising audiences.
- Advise and work collaboratively with the web and content teams
to develop and implement effective SEO strategies to increase
organic search traffic, improve website visibility, and enhance the
- Stay up-to-date with marketing trends, adapting strategies in a
- Ensure digital advertising and social media campaigns align
with recruitment marketing email campaigns.
- Work with Social Media Specialist to develop social media
strategies, manage social media and messaging, and monitor
- Work with Social Media Specialist to expand presence and
promote engagement across channels including Instagram, YouTube,
Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, LinkedIn and others as well as monitor
- Collaborate with the Social Media Specialist to leverage news
coverage to reach wider audiences.
- Write and pitch clear, concise and compelling stories to media
representatives and use placements for social media and other
- Monitor media mentions for use in college marketing
- Establish positive relationships with national media
representatives and identify new media influencers to
- Provide public relations coverage for the college, arranging
and conducting interviews, writing media releases, etc.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to create and publish digital content to achieve
strategic branding objectives.
- Adept in Google Analytics.
- Adept in measuring social media impact, assessing return on
investment in social media, using data to guide strategy, and
communicating ROI to colleagues and leadership.
- Strong attention to detail with great critical thinking and
- Highly organized; able to manage competing demands and
prioritize work against multiple deadlines.
- Excellent understanding of media trends and news cycles.
- General knowledge of current issues in higher education and
liberal arts education in a small residential setting.
- Ability to draft media releases and plan interviews
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to understand, support and elevate Whitman's goals and
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with staff, prospective students, current students,
faculty, staff and the public.
- Self-starter mindset with the ability to be flexible and
adaptable in a dynamic environment.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, English, Journalism,
Digital Marketing, Computer Science or a related field.
- Digital marketing experience, including paid search campaign
management, SEO best practices and marketing strategy
- 3+ years of relevant professional experience, or any
combination of experience that provides the applicant with the
desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the
Whitman College offers a competitive benefits program that is
designed to attract qualified candidates and retain talented
employees. Full-time employees enjoy the following benefits:
accidental death and dismemberment
long term disability
insurances with the capability to elect
additional voluntary coverage.
Defined Contribution Retirement Plan
with a 10% matching
contribution after eligibility
Paid Time Off:
20 accrued vacation days
12 accrued sick days
13 paid holidays
Tuition Remission - Dependent Children
for one Whitman course per semester.
Learn more about benefits eligibility here
DISABILITY ACCOMMODATION FOR JOB CANDIDATES
Contact Human Resources regarding requests for disability
accommodation in the employment application process.
Application review will begin on August 28, 2023 and continue until
the position is filled.
For full application instructions and position description,