The Virginia Military Institute is pleased to announce an exciting administrative/professional opportunity as Executive Assistant to the Superintendent. Reporting to the VMI Superintendent, this position requires an experienced administrator with a strong background in executive support and experience with gathering and synthesizing complex, sensitive information to aid strategic decision-making. The Executive Assistant position will serve at the staff officer level of the Institute.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assembles information and prepares summaries and special reports on issues and matters of interest to the Superintendent to facilitate executive decision-making and meet the intent of the Superintendent’s strategic priorities.
- Reviews, analyzes, and summarizes correspondence, reports and other materials.
- Coordinates information and presentation materials for the bi-monthly Command and Staff briefings to the Superintendent.
- Drafts timely correspondence in reply to internal and external stakeholder communications including that from parents, alumni, faculty/staff, politicians, and cadets.
- Serves as the Superintendent’s liaison for all cadet disciplinary actions with the Commandant’s Office and with the Superintendent’s Representatives to the Honor Court on Honor Court related issues.
- Facilitates communications with alumni agencies and state offices and agencies, as directed by the Superintendent.
- Oversees and executes the process for selection of various Institute awards.
- Ensures smooth operations of the Superintendent’s office by facilitating approval of staff timesheets, procurement actions, office and travel purchasing cards.
- Coordinates the Superintendent’s office budget with his administrative assistant.
- Other projects as assigned by the Superintendent.
- Bachelor’s degree; three years of experience in an administrative role providing high-level support to executive level staff or flag officers in a setting with similar job responsibilities.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff and management, guests and other outside groups.
- Exceptional analytical skills with experience creating reports, presentations, business correspondence, and administrative historical filing and proven ability to independently manage multiple tasks with competing priorities and deadlines in a dynamic environment.
- High level of emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills.
- Graduate degree in business, education, public policy, law or related field.
- Commissioned military service (0-2 to 0-4) preferred, but not required.
- Experience as an administrative or office supervisor.
Include a letter of interest that discusses your experience providing support to senior executives; a detailed resume and the contact information for three professional references.
Salary is commensurate with experience with an anticipated start date of 1 September 2023.
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, VMI alum, other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply.