Assistant Professor of Criminal Justice
Location: Angola, Indiana Summary
Trine University, Department of Criminal Justice invites applications for a full-time faculty position at the Assistant Professor rank beginning January 2024 or August 2024. Trine University is a small, private institution located in the beautiful lake resort region of northeastern Indiana. The mission of the university is to provide productive, work-ready graduates for careers in their chosen field. High quality teaching is our priority.
The position of Assistant Professor requires an individual who can provide excellence in teaching, interested in both their students and their subjects. They must be committed to the centrality of a Trine University education. The Assistant Professor should have a broad understanding of appropriate academic programs and potential future directions; be flexible, visionary, creative and energetic; and want students to excel and take pleasure in their success. Fair discipline, attention to duty, and desire for self-improvement are expected traits of Trine University Faculty members. Trine is a non-tenured institution that is committed to faculty and student success.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The position requires an 80/10/10 split that focuses 80% on classroom, 10% on university service, and 10% on scholarship (publications, conference presentations). The professor will do the following: instruct Criminal Justice courses, assist with course/ program development, program assessment, advise students regarding academic issues, will assist in the advising of student organizations related to the department, and provide service to the university in the form of committee work.
- Teach the standard faculty load of twelve (12) semester hours per semester or twenty-four (24) semesters per academic year.
- Post and maintain a regular schedule of at least ten (10) office hours per week – one office hour shall be scheduled per week for each credit hour of instruction.
- Provide instruction (teach class) for the class length listed in the official schedule.
- Prepare and grade a midterm and a final exam or project for each course.
- Provide each student with a course syllabus.
- Submit absentee and deficiency information to Academic Support Services via the Intranet site.
- Assist students with academic deficiencies.
- Advise prospective and current students about curriculum and career opportunities.
- Participate in developing or implementing the department strategic plan
A qualified instructor with a Ph.D. in criminal justice or a related field or J.D. is preferred; a master’s degree in these fields will be considered, especially if it is accompanied by significant professional experience. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellence in teaching, participate in the advising of students and will assist in the advising of student organizations related to the department.
Applicants should send a detailed CV, a letter describing their qualifications for teaching the classes and copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
Trine University offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide a variety of choices to best fit your needs and the needs of your family. Some benefits offered include:
- Health - medical, dental, vision,flex spending, HSA accounts
- Life insurance - a variety of voluntary life options are available along with an employer paid employee life policy valued at 1 ½ times annual salary
- Paid sick time
- Retirement - after one year of full-time service you are eligible for an employer contribution of 5% and up to an additional 5% employer match
- Education – after 6 months of full-time service, undergraduate education benefits are available for employee, spouse, and dependent children