About the Position: The College of Liberal Arts at Winona State university seeks an enthusiastic and innovative dean to provide leadership and administrative management for its diverse team of faculty, staff, and students. Most employees at WSU, including faculty, operate under collective bargaining agreements and participate in shared governance. The Dean joins an active and collaborative Deans’ Council, working as a group with the Provost, in providing academic leadership to the University. The College’s 13 departments offer more than 40 academic programs. Students are highly engaged in and committed to academics, arts, and community in local, regional, and global settings. Our faculty believe passionately in public dialogue, community outreach, meaningful scholarship, and active learning to guide our students in this work. The Dean is responsible for curricular and instructional quality within the College as well as representing the College to internal and external constituencies.
- Earned doctorate or appropriate terminal degree from an accredited institution in one of the disciplines reflected in the College.
- A minimum of 5 years of demonstrated successful and progressive experience in higher education, including both administrative leadership (e.g., program director, department chair, associate dean) and full-time teaching.
- Demonstrated experience with budgets and personnel management.
- Knowledge of the structure of the liberal arts curriculum and interrelationships with departments outside of the College of Liberal Arts.
- Experience in securing and managing external grants and fundraising.
- A record of accomplishments in the areas of teaching, research, and service in a university setting.
About Winona State University: Founded in 1858, Winona State University (WSU) is the oldest member of the Minnesota State System of colleges and universities. Today WSU serves approximately 6,000 undergraduate and graduate students across two campuses in Winona and Rochester, Minnesota (MN). Winona State was named the best public institution in Minnesota by U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Colleges,” was listed among the “Best in the Midwest” by The Princeton Review and was named as one of “America’s 100 Best College Buys.”
About Winona: The City of Winona, MN, has a population of just over 27,500 and is nestled between the bluffs and banks of the Mississippi River—one of the most scenic areas in Minnesota. Winona enjoys a rich legacy in Minnesota history with convenient access to shopping, outdoor recreation, social activities, and community resources. Winona is also home to a wide range of art, music, and theater opportunities, along with museums, collaborative creator spaces, and numerous festivals.
How to Apply: For a complete job description and information on applying for this position, please go to https://winona.peopleadmin.com. Applications received by September 7, 2023 will be given priority consideration.
WSU is a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities and is an
equal opportunity educator and employer.