Southern California University of Health Sciences seeks a Program Director, Doctor of Physical Therapy Program
Click here to view full position profile: https://summitsearchsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/SCU_Prog_Dir_DPT_Profile.pdf
Location: Whittier, California (Remote & Hybrid Options)
The Program Director provides academic and strategic leadership for the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program and serves to support and advocate for the goals and mission of the Program and University. The Program Director will:
- Lead, manage, and oversee all program functions, including curriculum development, student instruction and progression, faculty performance evaluation and development, program assessment, and accreditation.
- Promote and achieve program, faculty, and student goals and outcomes to demonstrate excellence and growth in academics, scholarship, and service.
- Develop and maintain collaborative professional relationships with administrative departments, accrediting bodies, and institutional and clinical partnerships.
- Exhibit strong interpersonal and leadership skills, organization skills, faculty and staff management skills, and communication and collaboration skills in the performance of all duties.
SCU has partnered with Evidence in Motion (EIM), to help develop, launch, and administer the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program. EIM is a leading provider of hybrid healthcare education that seeks to unlock transformative potential through its unique healthcare education model and approach. Collaborating with EIM allows the Program Director to work collaboratively with experienced professionals who are dedicated to helping achieve SCU’s programmatic goals. By leveraging EIM's support, the Program Director and the DPT program can thrive and excel in meeting their mission. The benefits include:
- A comprehensive suite of solutions to support the development and evolution of the SCU DPT program. These solutions include support services in accreditation, marketing and admissions, curriculum design and development, clinical education, and faculty recruitment.
- An innovative hybrid accelerated curriculum model has demonstrated programmatic and student outcomes and compliance with accreditation standards.
- Clinical education support including access to a nationwide network of clinical sites, along with dedicated clinical site procurement and placement services, to provide seamless clinical training experiences for students.
- Expertise in marketing and student recruitment that highlights the uniqueness of SCU and attracts top-quality candidates to the program from a nationwide applicant pool.
- Assistance in admissions and student engagement, providing valuable support in fostering student success and involvement.
- Faculty recruitment and development services contribute to assembling a skilled and knowledgeable faculty team with teaching and research expertise across the clinical spectrum.
Remote Opportunity: Candidates for this position will have the option to work on campus, hybrid, or in a fully remote capacity. On-campus duties will require travel to campus a minimum of two times per term. Travel costs will be covered by the University.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership, vision, and strategic direction for the Program.
- Establish and maintain state, institutional, and programmatic (CAPTE) accreditation. Overall responsible for coordinating the Program’s compliance with and reporting of all expected standards and rules, including:
- Completing required CAPTE documents and ensuring that the Program and University adhere to the CAPTE Standards and Policies.
- Developing and overseeing Program assessment activities and the implementation of data-driven action plans that improve program outcomes.
- Providing guidance and recommendations to Program Faculty/Staff and University leadership on requirements and best practices pertaining to program accreditation compliance.
- Design, develop, implement, and evaluate a contemporary evidence-based program curriculum, including didactic and clinical education, that meets accreditation standards and achieves Program goals and expected outcomes.
- Develop, maintain, and uphold Program regulations, policies and procedures that align with the University, meet accreditation standards, and achieve Program goals and expected outcomes.
- Provide oversight and general supervision for the Core and Associated Faculty, and Staff in activities directly related to the Program, including:
- Responsibility for recruitment and retention of personnel.
- Responsibility for Faculty and Staff performance evaluations, mentorship, and professional development in the areas of teaching, research, and service.
- Provide recommendations on continued employment and promotion of Faculty in accordance with the SCU System for Faculty Rank.
- Provide oversight and primary responsibility for the following processes in collaboration with Program Faculty:
- Developing, reviewing, and revising the mission statement, goals, and competencies of the Program, as necessary.
- Selecting qualified and diverse applicants for admission to the Program.
- Providing student instruction, evaluating student performance, and assuring the availability of remedial instruction.
- Providing academic coaching, counseling, and professional development for students.
- Plan and administrate the Program budget and financial resources to support the current and anticipated program needs, to include academic and clinical education, faculty, facilities, and equipment needs.
- Plan, conduct, and lead Faculty/Staff and strategic planning meetings for the Program.
- Serve on executive, planning, and standing committees as directed.
- Represent and advocate for the Program within the University, the community, and the profession.
- Attend University activities as designated.
- Perform the duties of a faculty member as identified in institutional policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned. The Program Director will teach courses as assigned and/or agreed upon with institutional leadership.
- The Program Director will not lead any courses but potentially help with lab and/or provide guest lectures based on speciality.
- Conduct and disseminate research/scholarship activities in accordance with accreditation requirements and institutional policies and procedures.
- Participate in institutional and professional service opportunities in accordance with accreditation requirements and institutional policies and procedures.
- Earned terminal academic doctorate (i.e., Ph.D., Ed.D., D.Sc.) in a discipline appropriate for teaching responsibilities from a regionally accredited institution.
- Eligible for senior faculty rank (Associate Professor or higher), with experience consistent with the University system for designated faculty rank.
- A minimum of 6 years of full-time higher education experience, with a minimum of three years of full-time experience as a core faculty member in a CAPTE-accredited entry-level physical therapist education program.
- Applicable experience in leadership (DPT program leadership experience and/or demonstrated successful leadership experience with the CAPTE accreditation process are preferred).
- Knowledge of legislative, regulatory, legal, and practice issues affecting clinical education, students, and the profession of Physical Therapy.
- Licensed, or eligible for licensure, as a Physical Therapist in California.
- Active in professional activities at local, state, and/or national levels.
About the Institution:
Southern California University of Health Sciences (SCU) is a regionally accredited, nonprofit institution specializing in healthcare education. SCU is dedicated to its core values of integrative health, evidence-based practice, health equity, and inclusivity.
The mission of Southern California University of Health Sciences (SCU) is to educate students as competent, caring, and successful healthcare practitioners and professionals. An SCU education equips students with the necessary skills and knowledge for their chosen profession while also providing a deep appreciation for integrative, whole-person health. SCU is one of the only universities in the world to combine Western, medical, complementary and integrative, and traditional Eastern approaches to healthcare.
SCU’s enrollment increased 79% in four years. During that same period, the percentage of students from underrepresented minorities in health-related sciences increased 36% and now represents 44% of the student population. The University is at an exciting inflection point as it intentionally positions itself to become one of the leading integrative health institutions in the nation. Plans to expand program offerings and to enhance interprofessional education opportunities for students are deliberate and strategic as SCU trains students to meet the urgent need to work across disciplines and professions and navigate a variety of philosophies, practices, and treatment options. The University holds institutional accreditation with the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) as well as several programmatic accreditations. Click here to learn more about SCU.
The University is proud of the SCU Health Center, a unique educational health and wellness facility residing in the heart of Whittier, California. SCU Health faculty work directly with clinical students, helping them treat each person as a whole – considering their biology, psychology, sociology, and environment to achieve better health.
The University is committed to providing excellence in academics, service, scholarship, and leadership through its diverse program portfolio:
- Doctor of Chiropractic
- Doctor of Occupational Therapy
- Doctor of Integrative Health (in development)
- Doctor of Physical Therapy (in development)
- Doctor of Medical Science (in development)
- Doctor of Acupuncture & Chinese Herbal Medicine
- Master of Science: Physician Assistant Program
- Master of Acupuncture & Chinese Herbal Medicine
- Master of Science in Human Genetics and Genomics
- Master of Science in Medical Science
- Graduate Certificate in Human Genetics and Genomics
- Post-Baccalaureate Health Education Certificate
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Ayurveda Wellness Educator Certificate
- Ayurveda Practitioner Certificate
- Accelerated Science Courses serving 2000+ course takers
- Additional programs planned in Speech-Language Therapy, Genetics Counseling, Physical Therapy in Arizona, Occupational Therapy in Arizona, and more.
Why Consider the Opportunity:
- Dynamic university with an integrative health emphasis. SCU’s educational opportunities center around integrative health, interprofessional education, and interdisciplinary practice. The curriculum features a perspective on health and well-being that permeates all educational and health service offerings within the campus community.
- High-level support from EIM. Collaborating with Evidence in Motion (EIM), a trusted partner in advancing healthcare education, provides the Program Director the support and expertise to successfully build an effective and innovative Physical Therapy program.
- Location flexibility. With the flexibility to choose whether to work remotely, hybrid, or on-site, this position lends itself to a unique blend of educating with a mission and maintaining a high quality of work-life.
- Culture. The University has a collaborative, supportive, and collegial environment. An Honor Roll recipient of the Chronicle of Higher Education’s Best Places to Work, SCU has built a community of shared respect and welcomes a diversity of ideas, beliefs, and cultures— creating the cornerstone of an engaging and thriving academic culture.
- Generous time off. Exceptional vacation and paid time off including national holidays, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, New Year’s Eve, 3 floating holidays, 2 paid community service days, 96 hours of sick leave, and 3 weeks of paid vacation time.
- Benefits. Health care plans are paid 100% for employees. Options to enroll family members are available at a reasonable cost.
Confidential review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled; parties who apply by September 19th will be given first consideration. Please submit a PDF version of your resume and cover letter outlining your interest and suitability for this position.
To apply online go to https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=su370
For more information please contact:
Summit Search Solutions, Inc.
Direct: (316) 650-0069
Salary Range: The broad range is $140,000-$180,000; this is open to negotiation based on market data as well as the depth of knowledge and experience in leading physical therapy programs. This position will operate from a virtual home office and thus requires no relocation.
Southern California University of Health Sciences is an equal-opportunity employer. Members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.