The associate director of executive communications is a
storyteller, strategist and project facilitator responsible for
communications and thought leadership strategy on behalf of MSU
Denver’s Office of the President in collaboration with University
Communications and Marketing.
Reporting to the AVP of Strategic Communications, this position
works directly with the University President managing presidential
communications, including content creation, packaging narratives,
and measuring effectiveness. They provide guidance and oversee
messaging consultation and collaboration with various university
The position requires proactive, efficient, and sound
Executive communications (80%)
- Lead strategic planning for internal and external presidential
communications in collaboration with the president's staff and
Strategic Communications team.
- Develop, organize and maintain key messages aligned with the
university's strategic priorities. Identify and develop stories in
support of key messages.
- Craft all written communications for the president, such as
speeches, newsletters, and emails, tailored to specific
- Facilitate dissemination of Presidential content across all
University communications channels and optimize content
- Manage the president’s website.
- Oversee the President’s social media strategy, execution, and
- Manage leadership awards program.
Strategic storytelling and communications (15%)
- Recommend and track metrics to ensure data-informed decisions
around future communications. Coordinate the development of
- Develop and maintain key messaging repository for the
- Contribute to strategic storytelling and communications
efforts, including research, story development, and editing.
- Solicit, pitch, develop, write and edit news stories and
magazine features around the president and key initiatives.
- Serve as a key contributor on the University’s crisis
communication team, providing content, research and monitoring for
- Provide strategic guidance on pertinent internal communications
as well as external and marketing communications.
Public affairs (5%)
- Edit stories, social media and other communications as
- Write, edit and review copy and assist with government affairs
and community relations strategy.
- Serve as liaison between government affairs and Strategic
Communications team, developing and tracking editorial stories and
sources to support government affairs.
- Bachelor's degree in related field.
Important Note: Successful applicants will ensure their resumes
clearly demonstrate that their work experience describes how they
meet ALL required qualifications.
- 5 years of professional experience in communications,
journalism, writing, or related field.
- Experience writing for executives including speeches,
correspondence, talking points.
- Experience managing social media and web content.
- 7+ years of professional experience in communications,
journalism, writing, or related field.
- Previous experience in a higher education environment,
politics, government, or related field.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to
translate complex concepts into clear, compelling, and cohesive
- Discretion and confidentiality in handling sensitive issues
with irreproachable integrity.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to establish and
maintain effective working relationships with employees at all
levels throughout the institution.
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills.
Ability to multitask and adapt in a fast-paced, deadline-driven
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to anticipate and proactively address issues.
- Familiarity and comfort in a highly collaborative work
- Knowledge of executive social media strategy and digital best
This role is based in Denver, Colorado and includes flexible,
hybrid work with a weekly onsite requirement.
Salary for Announcement
The anticipated hiring range for this position is $75,000 to
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set
based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to,
internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training. The
above salary range represents the University’s good faith and
reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the
time of posting.
For more information on MSU Denver’s compensation structure, please
Instructions to Apply
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by
11:59pm (MT) 09/04/2023.
For full consideration, please submit the following
describing relevant job experiences as they
relate to listed job qualifications and interest in the
Executive communications writing samples (2 minimum
Official transcripts will be required of the candidate selected for
If you are an Internal applicant, please apply via the Career tab
within the WorkDay Menu.
Open Until Filled
Sophia J Montano
Posting Representative Email
MSU Denver is pleased to offer our current and potential employees
a wide array of benefit options. To learn more, please visit the
Employee Benefits Offerings
Metropolitan State University of Denver is a unique,
access-oriented campus community that values diversity, equity, and
inclusion in all its forms. Our student population consists of
nearly 50% first generation students and over 45% students of
color. We are a designated Hispanic Serving Institution located in
We create an equitable learning and working environment in concert
with individuals who consistently demonstrate commitment to equity
and inclusion. We greatly value the diverse identities and
perspectives of our students, faculty, and staff and recognize that
in order to achieve a just and equitable society, diversity must go
beyond simple representation. It requires critical inquiry and
dialogue and a commitment to action. We strive to provide a culture
of belonging for all community members to achieve personal and