This position is a full-time tenure-track position, or it may be filled with a visiting faculty.
Position start date is August 26, 2024.
Application deadline is September 15, 2023.
- Ph.D. in Musicology
- Specialty in early music (pre-1750)
- Record of research and college-level teaching
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in music history
- Offer seminars in area of specialization
- Be active in research, publication, and professional associations
- Serve on department, college, and university committees as assigned
The School of Music at Brigham Young University is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music and has 450 majors enrolled in its undergraduate and graduate programs. The School has 50 full-time and approximately 65 adjunct faculty members and offers instruction leading to a variety of degrees, including the B.A., B.M., M.A., and M.M. Brigham Young University, which is supported by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, has an enrollment of 34,400 students drawn from all over the world. BYU is located 50 miles south of Salt Lake City, Utah.
BYU, an equal opportunity employer, requires all faculty to observe the university's honor code and dress and grooming standards. Preference is given to qualified candidates who are members in good standing of the affiliated church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
BYU is committed to hiring faculty members who embrace and advance its unique mission. Include a one-page mission alignment statement as part of your application. (See posting in Yjobs for more information -- https://yjobs.byu.edu/).
- Submit a university application, cover letter, curriculum vitae, and mission alignment statement online at https://yjobs.byu.edu.
- Attach to the application an official transcript for the Ph.D.
- Include with the application 2-3 scholarly writing samples in the form of publications, dissertation chapters, or seminar papers. Do not submit the entire dissertation.
- If applicant previously taught or is currently teaching at a college/university, including BYU, submit all institutional teaching/student ratings from each institution. (If teaching at any single institution was for more than three years, submit only the last three years of those ratings.)
- All materials must be received by the application deadline: September 15, 2023.
SEARCH COMMITTEE CHAIR: Dr. Brian Harker, BYU School of Music, MB 3065, Provo UT 84602; firstname.lastname@example.org; 801-422-2556