The Assistant Director ensures responsive and effective Human
Resources service delivery by supporting the core functions of the
team and through ownership of assigned areas, including recruiting,
employee training and engagement, general employee relations
support, and record management and compliance. The successful
incumbent will be able to balance routine responsibilities with
special projects to meet organization needs.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages employee recruitment program, including evaluation of
third-party service providers. Ensures consistent, branded and
accurate position description management through the review and
revision of position descriptions with campus partners.
- Oversees talent acquisition procedures, which include interview
the process and candidate selection. Develops guidelines and best
practice documentation that balances consistency with an
understanding of the unique nature of various campus offices and
departments. Incorporates diversity hiring practices, technology,
and institutional knowledge gained through networking and
relationship building across campus.
- Leads learning and engagement initiatives that provide
development opportunities for employees. Oversees HR Learning
Series and employee wellness efforts.
- Owns employee record management procedures, including review of
existing materials, destruction of former employee materials when
appropriate, and addition of new materials in a timely, organized,
and consistent manner. This includes the training and supervision
of other team members as it relates to record management.
- Partners with team members to provide exemplary service to
faculty, staff and student employees, including in-person, email,
and phone correspondence.
- Drafts various written communications, including internal and
external procedure documentation, and exhibits excellent writing
and document formatting skills.
- Develops knowledge of HRIS, timekeeping, and applicant tracking
- Maintains general knowledge of employee benefit plans, and is
able to answer basic questions. Engages other team members as
appropriate to respond to complex benefit plan inquiries.
- Supports campus with general employee relations matters and
performance management guidelines, when assigned by the Executive
Director, and escalates issues as appropriate.
- Assists with the ongoing review of employment policies, and
researches and provides recommendations for modifications.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of HR legal requirements and
industry best practices through individual research and
participation in webinars and assigned trainings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to continuous
- Supports mission, vision and values.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration,
industrial-organizational psychology or a related field and 5 or
more years of professional experience in a related field.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication
skills and a strong commitment to providing excellent customer
- Knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations, and
ability to research independently.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft 365 applications, including
Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and OneDrive.
- Ability to work with integrity, professionalism and
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- HR experience in a higher education setting.
Employee is typically subject to indoor work, though some outdoor
work may be required. Physical activities include repetitive motion
and exerting up to 10 pounds of force in order to lift, carry,
push, pull or otherwise move objects.
Position requires mostly daytime hours and some flexible hours as
needed during evenings to support projects.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Elmhurst University is a leading institution of higher education
that seamlessly blends liberal learning and professional
preparation to help students reach their full potential. Elmhurst
University offers more than 70 undergraduate majors, 15 graduate
programs, degree-completion programs for busy adults, and the
acclaimed Elmhurst Learning and Success Academy for young adults
with developmental disabilities. Elmhurst University is one of the
Top 10 Colleges in the Midwest, according to U.S. News & World
Report; and U.S. News, Money and Forbes magazines consistently rank
Elmhurst as one of the Midwest’s best values in higher
Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a critical
component of the University’s mission, vision and core values. Our
commitment stems from the belief that an institution of higher
learning is enriched by the presence of diversity. Elmhurst
University is an EO Employer. Elmhurst University prohibits
discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal
employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard
to race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation,
religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status,
disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Direct Link to this Posting