Uses a variety of technical skills in designing, building, and
repairing mechanical, electronic, electrical and related devices
and equipment used for research projects. Functions as a specialist
in translating theoretical principles into feasible designs and
instructing others in their use. Professionally operates the
Chemistry Department Machine Shop to effectively serve the
department and College of Science.
1. Consults with Principal Investigators and other research
personnel in order to identify the type of device or equipment
needed to accomplish research goals and objectives. Makes
recommendations on feasibility of projects researchers have in
2. Designs and builds research devices, instruments and equipment
(mechanical, electronic, electrical, cabinetry, etc.). Draws plans,
measurements and specifications; constructs and tests
devices/equipment/instruments for effectiveness.
3. Prepares cost estimates to build required items, gives technical
advice and selects most appropriate materials, components and
4. Utilizes strong project management skills to execute projects
from inception through completion.
5. Exhibits a positive and supportive attitude in the resolution of
all issues and projects brought to the machine shop.
6. Utilizes in-person conversations, email, sketches, drawings, 3D
models and prototypes to effectively communicate through the
project management process.
7. Provides machine shop technical training via formal and informal
meetings to research personnel.
8. Organizes and carries out preventive maintenance programs and
performs troubleshooting and repair of electrical, electronic and
9. Orders supplies/maintains shop as well as ensures shop and
research personnel adhere to health and safety codes.
10. Applies technical knowledge to solve unusually complex problems
and provides input to PI’s and research personnel regarding
weaknesses and capabilities of instruments, equipment and
11. Documents work with schematics, procedural notes, drawings and
other technical information.
12. Instructs research personnel in construction, purchasing and
minor repair practices.
13. Oversees monthly accounting and billing for services, materials
14. Maintains information and resources for reference by
15. Instructs researchers in use of test equipment and construction
16. Gives technical advice to students in the labs or shops so they
may complete class or research projects.
17. Ensures users follow safety procedures when using equipment and
18. May assist in writing technical reports for researchers
concerning the new design and innovations resulting from
Associate degree in Mechanics, Electronics, or related area, or
equivalency (one year of education can be substituted for two years
of related work experience); and four years experience related to
the specialty area, i.e.: electronic instrumentation repair,
network communications, mechanical design, repair and construction,
designing and building chamber systems for research, microscope
design and modification, etc. required. Demonstrated communication
and human relations skills are critical. Experience with plastics,
machine shop and welding skills may be preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the
essential functions of the job as outlined in the position
Proficient in 3D modeling and CNC programming of mill and lathe
with Autodesk Fusion360.
Ability to utilize manual mills/lathes as well as all typical
accessories and machine shop support equipment.
Full Time or Part Time?
Work Schedule Summary:
00121 - Chemistry
Pay Rate Range:
15.19 to 28.08
Open Until Filled:
To apply, visit https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/151111