ASSISTANT BUSINESS MANAGER – COLLEGE FULL-TIME
Assistant Business Manager - College functions as second-in-charge
of a college’s Business Office, assisting in directing and managing
its day-to-day operations including the proper accounting and
reporting of student receivables and other revenue; the management
of grant and operating budgets; the approval and processing of
purchasing transactions, and the reporting of financial
transactions and expenditures.
The Assistant Business Manager – College supervises a staff of
College Bursar Assistants and manages business/work processes
relating to front desk/ customer service; cashier and cash
management operations; receipt of student payments and posting to
student accounts; review and processing of purchase orders and
invoices; and related account and cash reconciliation reporting.
Manages the Business Office in the absence of the Business Manager
- College. Performs related duties as required.
- Supervises and monitors work activities of College Bursar
Assistants engaged in providing customer service and assisting
students with account inquiries including tuition and fee payments,
payment plans, status of student accounts, and related
- Provides guidance and support to staff in reviewing student
accounts and explaining transactions, tuition debt, and
registration holds to students. Works directly with staff and
students to resolve complex issues.
Oversees staff in researching and analyzing student accounts with
registration holds to identify discrepancies and validate accuracy
of account information. Makes determination and approves removing
holds on student accounts.
- Oversees the processing of tuition and book vouchers for third
party billings. Ensures student accounts in Campus Solutions CS9)
reflect voucher status, that payments are posted to student
accounts, and that information requested by third party vendors is
- Oversees cashiering operations, ensuring proper procedures are
followed in the receipt of cash and checks for tuition and fee
payments; the issuance of receipts; and the posting of payments to
student accounts using PeopleSoft Financials.
- Monitors and ensures cashiers balance out cash drawers. Reviews
and verifies accuracy of reconciliation reports balancing revenue
receipts with student accounts. Coordinates weekly cash pick up
with armored guard /security vendor.
- Supervises staff providing training and assistance to
department staff responsible for preparing purchase requisitions
for goods and services. Reviews requisitions for accuracy and
completeness and provides approval to generate purchase
- Oversees the receipt and review of vendor invoices, ensuring
procedures are followed in verifying receipt of goods and services,
reviewing invoices against requisitions, and forwarding to accounts
payable for vendor payment.
Works with staff in resolving vendor issues relating to pricing,
disallowed costs, and incomplete orders.
- Reviews and approved travel and expense reimbursement requests.
Advises college personnel on policies and procedures for
- Participates in the recruitment, interviewing, hiring, and
evaluation of staff. Completes performance evaluations. Administers
disciplinary actions as required. Recommends termination of
employment when appropriate.
- Assists Business Manager in preparing weekly budget status
reports informing executive staff of encumbered and expended funds
and fund balances. Prepares ad hoc financial reports as
- Assists Business Manager in the management of grant and
operational budgets, including monitoring fund expenditures,
approving budget transfers and reallocations, and ensuring
adherence to policies and procedures.
- Manages and directs the operations of the Business Office in
the absence of the Business Manager. P erforms related duties.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance,
Accounting, or a related field from an accredited college or
- Three years of work experience in finance, accounting, or
- Experience working in a business office at a higher education
- Demonstrated knowledge of PeopleSoft Financials desirable
- Demonstrated knowledge of Campus Solutions (CS9) desirable
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within
six months of hire.
- Knowledge of accounting and budgeting principles
- Knowledge of financial report preparation
- Knowledge and understanding of the uses of information
technology to deliver the services of the business office
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Skill in using PeopleSoft Financials and databases for
- Ability to work independently and as a collaborative team
- Ability to handle sensitive and difficult situations with tact
- Ability to work within a culturally diverse environment
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!