The South Dakota Board of Regents invites nominations and applications for the position of President of Black Hills State University. Nestled in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota, BHSU seeks a transformational leader who is passionate about the mission of a public regional comprehensive university. Subject to the oversight and governance of the Executive Director and Board, the president is responsible for all operations of the university and for upholding and advancing the mission of Black Hills State University.
The university is in a picturesque location, has undergone recent campus building and expansion projects, has numerous industry partners throughout the community and region, and has premier academic programs. Black Hills State’s mission focuses on personalized teaching and student services. BHSU has unique characteristics and is critical in advancing South Dakota student access, affordability, degree completion, and quality education. BHSU’s vision is to provide cutting-edge education, promote student success, be a sustainable campus, and
serve as an economic engine for western South Dakota.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualities, experiences and characteristics:
- A strategic and forward-thinking visionary who can bring people together, see things through, and serve as a champion to continue driving the university forward.
- Ability to effectively foster and build relationships with students, faculty, staff, community leaders, industry partners, and policy makers.
- An outstanding communicator and listener with a willingness to embrace the values and culture of the university, Spearfish community, and state of South Dakota.
- A team builder who will empower and inspire others and optimize the effectiveness of a talented and committed leadership team, faculty, and staff.
- A student-centered leader who will enrich the student experience and advance a culture of innovation and academic excellence.
- An approachable and visible leader, both on campus and in the Spearfish community, with an energetic presence and entrepreneurial spirit.
- A gifted fundraiser who has experience in cultivating critical relationships and building a positive culture of philanthropy and engagement.
- A high level of understanding of the fiscal issues affecting institutions of higher education, in particular an astute understanding of public university finances and state-level budgeting and appropriations.
- Ability to identify new academic innovations and establish partnerships with private sector and governmental agencies.
- Knowledge of key issues affecting public higher education and a demonstrated willingness to take strategic risks to effect meaningful and transformational change.
- An earned doctorate, or advanced terminal degree, and significant executive leadership experience that would garner the respect of the campus community is required. A graduate degree combined with extensive relevant experience may be accepted.
- Candidates for the position should demonstrate significant, successful leadership experience in a complex organizational setting.
Procedure for Candidacy
Nominations and applications will be accepted until an appointment is made, within practical limits of the process as finalists are identified. For full consideration, materials should be submitted by September 24, 2023. The leadership profile can be found at Presidential Search - Black Hills State University (bhsu.edu).
All application materials should be submitted electronically to email@example.com and must include:
- A letter of interest;
- A current résumé or curriculum vitae; and,
- The names of five or more professional references with each person's position, office or home address, e-mail address, and telephone numbers.
If interested parties have questions, they can reach out to Kayla Bastian, Chief HR Officer of the South Dakota Board of Regents at 605-773-3455.
Applications will remain confidential except for those invited for campus interviews.
The South Dakota Board of Regents is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Board of Regents ensures that all employment practices are free of discrimination. Arrangements for accommodation required by disabilities can be made by contacting Kayla Bastian at 605-773-3455 or firstname.lastname@example.org.