The Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) is recruiting for a mission-oriented General Counsel who is passionate about public service and higher education. The General Counsel will oversee and manage all legal services to the agency to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations related to the delivery of the agency's programs. Serves as a member of the executive leadership team and provides strategic guidance, consultation and support to the Executive Director and senior management on a comprehensive range of legal and associated issues involved in carrying out the mission of the agency.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic leadership, direction, management, and support for the legal department and for all divisions on legal matters. Execute organizational planning to ensure the most effective and timely delivery of legal services to the agency.
- Ensure agency compliance with all state and federal laws, regulations, and administrative procedures.
- Give strategic direction and oversee agency compliance, procurement, and contractual policies.
- Provide counsel regarding data privacy, usage, and security. Oversee compliance with Open Meetings Act, Freedom of Information Act, State Ethics Act, Records Retention, etc. and provide legal guidance as needed related to certain media inquiries.
- Supervise and manage the procurement team for all agency procurements.
- Oversee the creation, review and execution of contracts, grant agreements, data sharing agreements, etc.
- Procure and manage relationships with outside counsel.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- Juris Doctorate degree and a valid State of Illinois law license.
- At least 12 - 15 years in practice as an attorney.
- At least 5 years of experience as a General Counsel.
- At least 7 years of experience supervising a team.
- Experience with the following areas of law highly desirable: contract, procurement, employment, higher education, administrative, student lending, and commercial/employment litigation
- Experience in Illinois state government is desirable.
- ISAC offers an attractive benefits package including health, vision, and life insurance, State Employees Retirement System, educational benefits, and more.
- 24 vacation days per year.
- 12 paid sick days.
- 12 paid holidays.
- Tuition waiver at select public Illinois universities and tuition reimbursements for non-public Illinois universities.
Minimum Salary: $160,000 per year
Be part of our great mission helping Illinois students attend college! Visit us at www.isac.org.
For consideration, please complete an application at: https://recruiter.isac.org
ISAC is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the US. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of employment Visas at this time.
ISAC does not discriminate against someone (applicant or employee) because of that person's race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information.