Job Posting Title
Sociology Adjunct Assistant Professor Pool
Los Rios Community College District (All Campuses/Locations)
Temporary Position Category
The Los Rios Community College District is the second-largest,
two-year public college district in California, serving
approximately 75,000 students in the greater Sacramento region. The
District’s 2,400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and
El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties
and is comprised of four uniquely diverse colleges – American
River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake, and Sacramento City colleges.
In addition to each college’s main campus, the District offers
educational centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk
Grove, Natomas, and Rancho Cordova.
The Los Rios District Office is centrally located in the heart of
the Sacramento valley. The growing Capital Region has strong
communities and emergent arts and dining scenes, and is nearby some
of the most celebrated tourist destinations in the country – Lake
Tahoe, Napa Valley, and San Francisco. The Sacramento area is a
great place to live and work.
The District has approximately 6,000 employees throughout our four
colleges and District Office complex. The District Office is
centrally located between all four colleges and provides welcoming,
inclusive, and equitable environments for Los Rios students,
employees, and our community partners. Our departments strive for
the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities, and
are focused on advancing the learning of our diverse student
population through improved academic and social outcomes.
Our Colleges offer equity-minded, academically rigorous, student
success centered education. Our objective is to help our students
successfully achieve their academic goals, whether they want to
transfer to a four-year college or university, earn an associate
degree, or obtain one of more than 100 certificates in high demand
The Los Rios Community College District is seeking a pool of
qualified applicants for this temporary part-time (Adjunct) Faculty
teaching assignment. This position is filled on an as needed basis
and is an on-going recruitment effort. Applicants are
contacted/hired year-round for assignments based on college needs.
This pool is open continuously and refreshed every two years.
Applicants in this pool will remain active for two years. After two
years applicants will receive an email with information on how to
remain in the pool.
The adjunct faculty member shall be responsible for the
following: teaching assigned classes under the supervision of the
$41.27 to $100.50 per hour. Rate determined by education
requirement and type of assignment (lab/lecture/non
Additional Salary Information
No additional salary information to note
The adjunct faculty member assignment responsibilities include:
helping students fulfill their maximum potential in mastering
course content; assessing student learning outcomes; maintaining a
thorough and up-to-date knowledge in his/her regular teaching
field; continuing professional development; utilizing current
technology in the performance of job duties; maintaining standards
of professional conduct and ethics appropriate to the professional
position; assisting with articulation and curriculum development
and review; serving on college committees and participating in
faculty governance including accreditation and student
co-curricular activities; assuming other responsibilities as
assigned by the area dean; fulfilling other duties and
responsibilities of a part-time faculty member.
The instructional assignment may include, but is not limited to,
teaching courses in all levels of Sociology at the college
- Introductory Sociology
- Social Problems
- Introduction to Social Research Methods
- Introduction to Crime, Deviance, and Social Control
- Race, Ethnicity and Inequality in the United States
Position Salary Information:
Initial maximum salary placement
is based on academic degree, and upper/graduate level units earned
Los Rios College Federation of Teachers Contract
initial maximum placement is Class V, Step 1). For more information
on the step placement process, please
To be determined.
The assignment may include day, evening, online,
hybrid, weekend, and/or off-campus classes/hours.
Total Hrs per Week/Day
- Have a master’s degree in Sociology; OR, bachelor’s
degree in Sociology and master’s degree in Anthropology, any
Ethnic Studies, Social Work, or Psychology; OR, the
equivalent.* All degrees must be from an accredited institution
completed by time of hire.
- Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to
and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural,
disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic
backgrounds of community college students, including those with
physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in
learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive
educational and employment environment.
Applicants applying to this posting are REQUIRED to complete
fully and submit:
- If your degree title differs from the minimum qualifications
listed above, you are requested to apply under the “equivalent”
- Applicants applying under the “equivalent” provision must
attach details and explain how their academic preparation and/or
professional experience is the equivalent of the degrees/minimum
qualifications listed above. Please visit our website for a sample
letter and information on the
equivalency determination process .
- Los Rios Community College District Faculty Application
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial transcripts of college/university work
- Applicants indicating “see resume” on the application will not
have that referenced experience considered for minimum
qualifications, which may lead to the application being
- Only information (education, experience, etc.) listed on the
application will be considered for minimum qualifications.
- Applicants, including current Los Rios Community College
District employees, are required to provide official transcripts,
if required to meet the minimum qualifications for the
- Applicants are required to submit official transcripts within
60 days of the time of hire.
- Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be
accepted as official transcripts.
- Individuals who have completed college or university course
work at an institution in a country other than the United States
must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees,
and other relevant documents.
- A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign
course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary
placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a
college or university in the United States.
- Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from
AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or
NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services)
agencies or evaluators. For additional information on foreign
click here .
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
Posting Detail Information
Beginning On (or About)
This is a part-time, temporary faculty position; beginning and
ending dates vary.
Ending Date, if LTT
How and where to apply
Please visit our
Frequently Asked Questions
for complete information on
how to apply online with our District. If you need assistance with
any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112
during regular business hours 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. PST, Monday
After hour inquiries should be emailed to HR@losrios.edu.
Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance
from a criminal background check and proof of identity and
eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of
work. Tuberculosis (TB) risk assessment and Certificate of
Completion must be obtained within 15 days from the start of
employment. The District may select additional qualified candidates
should unexpected vacancies or needs occur. When education is a
requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from
the accredited institution must be submitted within 60 days of
For the latest information on Los Rios Community College’s COVID
-19 protocol, please visit COVID -19
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Can you perform the essential functions of the position you
are applying to with or without reasonable accommodations?
- * If hired, can you provide proof that you are eligible to work
in the United State?
- * Please indicate how you meet the educational minimum
qualifications for this Faculty position. Select the appropriate
- I possess the minimum qualifications for the discipline as
listed on the job posting. (Upload all appropriate unofficial
transcripts from an accredited college/university.)
- My degree title does not match the titles listed in the Minimum
Qualifications section of the job posting, but I possess an
equivalent degree and requestng an equivalency review. (Upload your
equivalency statement and unofficial transcripts.)
- I have previously been granted equivalency to teach this
discipline by the Los Rios Community College District. (Upload the
Equivalency Determination Form P-38 or Equivalency Determination
Letter and transcripts.)
- * Considering this specific position that you are applying to –
where/how did you learn about this position?
- Asian Pacific Islander Legacy - Los Rios Employee Group
- Before The Movie - Movie Theater Advertisement
- Black Faculty & Staff Association - Los Rios Employee
- California Community College Registry
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- Community College Jobs (communitycollegejobs.com)
- Comunidad - Los Rios Employee Group
- DiversityJobs (diversityjobs.com)
- d'primeramano.net Magazine
- EdCareers Portal (Standford)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- HigherEdJobs (higheredjobs.com)
- Job Fair
- Los Rios Human Resource Invite
- Los Rios Job Site
- Native American Collaborative - Los Rios Employee Group
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Works
- Spectrum LGBTQIA+ - Los Rios Employee Group
- THE Hub Magazine (Sac Culture Hub)
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Unofficial Transcript 4
- Unofficial Transcript 5
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation
- Equivalency Determination Letter (P-38 or Equivalency Request