About the Westphal College of Media Arts & Design
The creative heart of Drexel University, the Antoinette Westphal
College of Media Arts & Design trains the next generation of
scholars, thinkers, makers, and doers in the fields of media,
entertainment, design, and the visual and performing arts. Westphal
offers 18 undergraduate and nine graduate majors, housed in
award-winning facilities that encourage collaboration across
creative disciplines. At Westphal, we reimagine the role of design,
media, and the arts in building a better future. Our programs
challenge students to center sustainability, access, and equity in
their approaches to art, fashion, architecture, gaming,
entertainment, and scholarship. Through experiential learning,
studio-based curriculum, and Drexel’s widely-recognized Cooperative
Education program (co-op), our students are uniquely positioned to
face the world’s challenges and define the creative careers of the
The Department of Architecture, Design & Urbanism invites
applications for a full- or part-time instructor position in the
core curriculum of the Architecture
beginning January 1, 2024. This position is a 1-year
renewable, non-tenure track appointment.
We seek an excellent designer and talented teacher with
professional practice experience in architecture who is highly
collaborative and will value the strengths of our unique
undergraduate programs, offering both full-time and part-time
evening education in architecture. We invite our new colleague to
work with us on advancing ameliorative initiatives that dismantle
barriers faced by minoritized communities in architectural
education and practice, to contribute and participate in the
advancement of initiatives that align with our College and
University strategic plan, including anti-racism/racial justice,
decolonizing and diversifying design and academia, sustainability
and climate resilience, future technology trajectories, and
The ideal candidate should be capable of teaching, innovating,
organizing, and coordinating a range of undergraduate courses and
studios across the curriculum at various levels. Experience in the
development of coursework that addresses social and design equity,
sustainability and environmental concerns rigorously while
collaborating with other disciplines and community partners is
The Department of Architecture, Design & Urbanism is dedicated
to building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and
fostering an inclusive, equitable and multicultural environment for
students, faculty, and staff. Candidates who can contribute through
their practice, research, teaching and/or service, to the diversity
and excellence of the academic community in Drexel’s Architecture
Program are encouraged to apply.
- Diverse and inclusive teaching and course development of
assigned classes within the undergraduate degrees in
- Coordinating professional classes and design studios at various
- Participation in curriculum development and program
- Service to the program and department as assigned by the
- Inter- and intra- departmental collaborations with other design
- Minimum of a B.Arch, M.Arch or equivalent degree.
- Minimum of 2 years of professional design and practice
- Minimum of 1 year of teaching experience in architecture at the
- Ability to work evenings and occasional weekends.
- Professional licensure.
- Demonstrated experience, interest and involvement in inclusion,
diversity, equity and anti-racism (IDEA) initiatives in teaching,
research, creative work, and/or professional practice.
- Expertise in online teaching and learning as we calibrate
remote and/or hybrid instructional formats and explore the
potential of future program opportunities.
- Demonstrated experience or professional interest in one or
several of the following areas:
- Indigenous design and/or global non-European design.
- Design equity and social justice.
- Sustainable building design and materials and methods of
- Landscape architecture.
- Historic preservation and adaptive reuse
University City, Philadelphia PA
This position is classified as Exempt
. Please review the
for some information on our benefits
Special Instructions to the Applicant
In addition to your CV/resume and cover letter, please also include
the following when submitting your application:
- 2-page statement articulating your qualifications and
- your design and pedagogical approaches,
- your values and commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and
anti-racism IDEA and decolonizing design.
- Experience working with diverse populations (students,
colleagues, communities, etc.), and/or the contributions you
anticipate making to advance the integration of IDEA into the
culture and curriculum of architecture and design.
- Up to 3 course sample syllabi, assignments, exams and/or other
materials that support your pedagogy and teaching.
- Portfolio not exceeding 20 pages demonstrating expertise for
the position, including professional and student work (submitted in
- 3 references with position and contact information who can
attest to your qualifications. (Only candidates who are invited to
an interview will receive a reference check).
Review of applications will start immediately and continue until
the position is filled.
Oct 26 2023 Eastern Daylight Time
Oct 31 2023 Eastern Daylight Time