There are four academic colleges of Alvernia University: The College of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences (CHESS), the College of Health Sciences, the College of Business, Communications and Leadership (CBCL), and the College of Science, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics (STEAM). Though generally similar, each college has its own characteristics and needs, which result from its distinctive nature and the direction of its interests and activities. As a result of these different needs, the leadership of each division is determined by mutual agreement of its division faculty and the Provost. The leadership of each college is exercised largely through the dean and department chairpersons. The dean is an academic leader who has an academic, programmatic, managerial, and fiscal responsibility to their academic college. The administrative duties of each department are given to a department chair. All College Deans must have a terminal degree and have attained the rank of a tenured Associate Professor. The College Dean is responsible to the Provost for the leadership and general management of the unit. The dean is a full-time administrator with faculty status without voting rights in the faculty governance process.
- Promote Franciscan ideals and adherence to the Mission of the University as demonstrated by the University's Ideal Characteristics. As we are an equal opportunity employer committed to Franciscan values, all employees share responsibility for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the performance of their roles while demonstrating: service orientation, respect for all, intellectual curiosity, solution focus and innovation, and mutual accountability.
- Leads the unit to meet goals and objectives of the institution's strategic plan and academic priorities
- Responsible for the ethical conduct of research and for establishing and maintaining a culture of compliance and integrity amount faculty, staff, and students.
- Prioritizes and manages college/school resources, including the development and monitoring of budgets, physical facilities, and class schedules
- Ensures educational quality through curriculum development and review following state and national standards
- Ensures departmental level and academic planning that is congruent with institutional priorities
- Develops and adapts academic programs to respond to educational, professional, and community needs
- Oversees faculty and staff recruitment, hiring, professional development, and evaluation
- Facilitates mentoring of new faculty and oversees the 3rd and 5th-year review and tenure processes
- Develops processes and maintains reports for planning, assessment, and accreditation
- Represents the institution at various functions
- Represents academic college at Open Houses, Transfer Days, and Admissions Events, as needed
- Ensures academic college participation at Open Houses, Transfer Days, and various Admissions Events
- The facilitating link between department chairs, faculty members, staff, students, and senior leadership.
- All activities and roles of the deans are undertaken in light of furthering the best interests of the students of Alvernia University and the communities they serve.
- Commitment to the mission statement, core values and goals of Alvernia University.
- All College Deans must have a terminal degree
- Attained the rank of a tenured Associate Professor
- Deans are appointed for renewable five-year terms.
- Those hired from the outside do not attain tenure as a result of their role as dean or as negotiated upon hire.
- Attendance is required in order to perform the duties of this job.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Occasional nights and weekends could be required
- Valid Drivers License to travel between main and regional campuses
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.