The Academic and Career Success Coach plays a critical role in
supporting and empowering students to achieve their academic and
career goals. This student-centric role will carry out the mission
of the Department of Academic and Career Advising and is
responsible for providing individualized guidance, mentorship, and
resources to help students navigate their academic journey and
successfully transition into their chosen career path. In addition,
the Coach will play an instrumental role in organizing workshops,
fostering collaboration between departments, and facilitating
engagement among faculty, student organizations, and other members
of the campus community.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Provide personalized academic coaching: Work one-on-one with
students to develop academic plans, set goals, and create
strategies for success. Assist students in improving study skills,
time management, and organizational abilities. Help students
identify their strengths, weaknesses, and areas for growth.
- Offer career guidance and planning: Help students explore
career options, assess their skills and interests, and develop
career goals. Provide resources and support for resume writing,
interview preparation, and job search strategies. Assist students
in building professional networks and connecting with relevant
- Foster student empowerment and self-awareness: Empower students
to take ownership of their academic and career development.
Facilitate discussions and activities that promote self-reflection,
self-advocacy, and decision-making skills. Help students recognize
and overcome challenges and barriers to success.
- Develop and deliver workshops and programs: Design and conduct
workshops, seminars, and group sessions on topics such as academic
success strategies, career exploration, job search techniques, and
professional development. Collaborate with faculty, staff, and
external partners to coordinate and promote these events.
- Stay updated on educational and industry trends: Continuously
research and stay informed about academic advising best practices,
career development resources, and industry trends. Maintain a
current understanding of academic programs, majors, and graduation
requirements. Attend professional development conferences,
workshops, and trainings to enhance knowledge and skills.
- Maintain accurate records and documentation: Keep detailed
records of student interactions, including coaching sessions,
goals, and progress. Document student achievements, milestones, and
any concerns or challenges that may arise. Generate reports and
provide data analysis to assess the impact of coaching
- Collaborate with stakeholders: Collaborate with faculty, staff,
and other student support services to enhance student success.
Coordinate efforts with academic advisors, counseling services,
tutoring programs, and career services to provide comprehensive
support to students. Participate in team meetings, committees, and
initiatives to contribute to a cohesive and effective support
- Implements academic intervention options and strategies with
all student classifications.
- Monitors at-risk students and actively provides referrals for
support services, providing timely outreach and referrals with
- Teaches FMU 101 – University 101 – as assigned by the Academic
Engagement and Student Success.
- Contributes to committee and team work for the good of the
- Maintains regular office hours per an approved schedule.
Performs other duties as assigned by the Assistant Vice President
of Academic Engagement and Student Success.
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the
supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with faculty, staff, and student
- Exceptional customer service and organizational skills.
- Understands open-ended questioning, non-verbal communication,
and active listening.
- Understands how to read and interpret reports and data.
- Presentation and public speaking skills.
- Strong computer and analytical skills.
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment
is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Ability to interact with personnel at all levels of the
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of
average weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking
for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA),
those functions of the job which are identified essential are
required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will
be given careful consideration.
- Bachelor's degree in education, counseling, psychology, or a
related field (Master's degree preferred)
- Previous experience in academic advising, career counseling, or
student support services
- Strong knowledge of academic planning, career exploration, and
job search strategies
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the
ability to establish rapport and build relationships with
- An empathetic and compassionate approach to student support,
with the ability to motivate and inspire
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with the
ability to multitask and prioritize effectively
- Knowledge of educational technology and resources for academic
and career development
- Familiarity with data management systems and student
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in student
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background check
and drug testing.
In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a
list of three professional references (at least one from a previous
employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of
application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the
position is filled. No phone calls please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity