Summary of Job Duties and
Assume section head duties for Immunology section, comprising
virology and serology testing; supervise technicians; explore new
testing; evaluate current protocols and recommend changes; strictly
adhere to Quality standards.
Minimum Education Requirements:
- Responsible for the performance and interpretation of
diagnostic testing (e.g. ELISA, AGID, virus neutralization,
fluorescent antibody testing, etc) conducted in Immunology, which
includes releasing results to the case coordinator.
- Responsible for supervising and training of personnel within
Immunology, which includes managing schedules to ensure diagnostic
work is completed in a timely manner.
- Responsible for ensuring the compliance of Immunology in
regards to the Quality Management System and BVC Biosafety and
Biosecurity programs to ensure the section meets AAVLD and other
accreditation programs specific to Immunology testing.
- Monitors current processes and policies for Immunology; ensures
regulatory compliance to include accreditation standards, develops
new procedures and policies as needed.
- Conduct cost analysis of tests performed to ensure pricing
structure is appropriate.
- Provide instruction in virology theory and practice for the
Pre-Vet/Vet Tech curriculum.
- Liaison with referring veterinarians, owners, staff, food
producers, governmental agencies and other laboratories.
- Participates in weekend and holiday duty rotation.
- May make presentations at local, national and international
- May conduct research on chosen topics within their section and
publish findings of that research.
- Complete special projects as assigned by the Director.
Minimum Experience and Skill Requirements:
- PhD in Microbiology or related field is required.
Preferred Education and/or Experience
- Two (2) years laboratory experience required.
- Previous supervisory experience
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, supervisory,
multi-tasking and organizational skills.
- Problem solving ability to troubleshoot testing deficiencies,
identify corrective actions, evaluate new processes and
materials/equipment, implement plans and develop preventative
- Pleasant, proactive personality with the ability to handle
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Work, Microsoft Excel and
email (or equivalent).
- DVM or equivalent from an accredited American Association of
Veterinary Medicine institution.
- Two years' experience in a veterinary diagnostic
- May be required to respond on weekends, holidays and after
hours for weekend duty, seasonal overload and emergencies.
- Handling of hazardous materials, biological contaminants, and
controlled substances; strong pungent odors; handling animal,
environmental, and plant specimens.
Breathitt Veterinary Center participates in the DHS E-verify
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Murray State
University is an equal education and employment opportunity, M/F/D,